Mk3 diesel box for a 1.9 PD 130 mk2 golf conversion,a good idea?

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by rallye13, Aug 31, 2010.

1. rallye13 Paid Member Paid Member

Is using a Mk3 diesel box for a 1.9 PD 130 mk2 golf conversion a good idea?

I know lots of people use themfor 1.8 T conversions, but would it be best to try using a mk4 5 speed box or a mk3 5 speed cable change, in my mk2 golf?

thanks

Rich

2. scruffydubber Paid Member Paid Member

I would go with the cable change.
    if you remap or mod the engine, your going to be running a lot of torque

3. golfgtioz. Forum Member

i would also go mk3 cable box , as above the 02A can take much more torque than the 020 plus you wont have to mess about adding a VSS , ok the cable change can be a little sloppy and youve got the extra work of fitting a hydro clutch but it will be better for it

i would be looking at a CTN or CYP box , you could also go for the ASD like found on the early 1Z tdi's but the other have a slightly higher 5th

well thats my understanding of it but i'm no expert :thumbup:

4. rallye13 Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks guys!

Can I use the mk3 box with the mk4 clutch pedal setup? Rather than a mk3 hyraulic pedal box!

When you say higher 5th do you mean longer ratio, so better for crusing on motorway?

Does the ctn and cyp come on mark 3 golfs?

And finally ;) what is vss?

Thanks

5. m1keh Forum Member

VSS = vehicle speed sensor. Higher means longer/lower revs for cruising on the motorway. You can use seat mk2 ibiza parts to change an o2a box to cable clutch if you need.

6. rallye13 Paid Member Paid Member

Im hoping to use the full mk4 pedal set up and mk4 gear selector setup.

But if the mk3 gearboxes are better, ill get a box and the gear selector together.

thanks

7. aidanb22 Forum Member

Suggest you drive an 02A equipped mk3 beforehand, the shift is appalling! I have owned several, including a VR6 which had a short shift on it, completely ruins it in my opinion.

So... you need to look at the various threads on using an 02J shifter, the 02J (mk4 5 speed) is very nice to use even at very high mileage.

The 02A itself is ok especially with the single mass flywheel as standard, but remember 5th gear is a lot shorter than the mk4's 6th, 70mph is 2500rpm-ish, whereas 6th is 70mph at about 1900rpm.
    This is a bit better for acceleration and a bit easier on the clutch, but mpg will suffer slightly

8. golfgtioz. Forum Member

as above .. if your looking at mk3 golfs the later ones should have the ctn or cyp boxes fitted ( sorry i dont have the years ) generally the ctn box is fitted to late 1Z or early AHU engines , where the cyp is fitted to the AFN (110 BHP) engine .. as a rule

ive not been close to a mk4 gearbox so i know nothing about what they might be like

9. m1keh Forum Member

You could probably use an 02j box as well. Is that what they put in early mk4 golf 90's/110's?

10. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

have you looked around any of my threads answering the subject

mk3/4 o2a/J set up works fine - if you start with a 02a as I did it doesn't take much to upgrade to a J as stated above

I run a ASD mk3 box which has the longest gearing of the mk3's (5th 145MPH'ish @ 4500RPM)

A full solid flywheel G60/TDI/VR6 set up required, idealy with an uprated clutch

VSS is fairly universal, I'm using a mk3 on mk 4 clocks, but any o2a/j sensor should work the same - only thing is its out slighty (5%) from the size of the tyres from the 195/65R15 ratio even adapted to it;s lowest 'adjustment' in the clock

11. rallye13 Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks chrispy, ye I've read you thread several times and saved as a fav!

Went to see PAB the other night, the master of the conversion, think I'm gonna go for a o2j tdi box with lupo cables and mk4 shifter!

Thanks for all the advice!

Chrispy I may drop you a pm soon!

Rich