MK3 engine

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by Hobgoblin, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Hobgoblin New Member

Hi i have a Mk3 Golf GTI 2.0L 8v GU engine code and the old girl is getting a bit long in the teeth 140k and is going to need a engine rebuild soon, i was wondering if its possible to fit a 16v head onto the GU engine block ? do the oil drain hole line up will it even fit ? and would i i need the 16v inlet and exhaust manifolds ? help tips would be a great help.....

PS anyone in the tyneside area do head port/polishing ?

Cheers

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  2. Jaundice

Jaundice Forum Member

Hi mate,

never heard of a GU, I thought it was either AGG or 2e in a MK3 2.0 8v? What year is your car?

3. Hobgoblin New Member

Yup your right its AGG its a 1997 Anniversary , Ive no idea how i came up with GU ( blushes ) ? anyway can i 16v head replace the 8v ?

Many thanks .

4. skint_golfer

skint_golfer Forum Member

should bolt on as the blocks are basically the same but then you end up with pistons hitting valves because the 8v pistons dont have the cut-outs for 16 valves.

for what its worth I'd sell the lot and buy a real 16v gti not build something VW already did...

5. Hobgoblin New Member

Thanks for the replay Skint Golfer, I'm not looking to build something thats been done, heads got to come off for a rebuild and pistons out for new rings i was just wondering if it could be done and how much of a pain it would be to do, think ill just put the old 8v head back on ........anyone know of a head port/polisher tyneside area.

Many thanks

6. MK-III_Boy Forum Member

I dont know if this is silly,
    Im still a newbie, but here it goes,

what if you changed the rods to a shorter length?
    this should miss the valves being hit from the piston rings...

after put on a turbo to gain the lost compression?
    if it already has a turbo, just do a upgrade? change the waste-gate...

sorry if i sound noobish, its cause i am. =)

7. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

Putting the 16v head on the 8v block is a big project which will take time, effort, money and and all sort of bits and bobs to get going. Worth a search on here as it has been done. The most simple thing to get done is a rebuild of the 8v engine.

Also worth asking why its getting "tired"? If theres nothing wrong with it and its just the mileage concerning you then don't worry. I have a mk3 8v gti with 138k on it and its strong as ever, don't use a drop of oil and pulls like hell. I've pulled heads off blocks with 175k on them to see minimal bore wear. However if its buring oil or having problems etc then thats different.:lol:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  8. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

My AGG engine has now done 156K and uses no oil and still pulls well, it does my 60 mile work run every day without issue. Unless there is a problem with it i would leave it, just treat it to a good quality oil change every 5K. An engine rebuild for me would cost mort than i paid for the car :-)

9. skint_golfer

skint_golfer Forum Member

its funny you should mention that, you happen to know someone with 8v pistons machined to match a 16v head already fitted to the 2L sat on his work bench.... cant think who though... :lol:

10. Hobgoblin New Member

The car runs fine and is nice and smooth through the gears and loses no oil, the problem is I'm getting CRAPPY MPG ( this is on the engine forum ) replaced the coolant fluid and coolant temp sensor,oil, oil filter, air filter and the inlet temperature sensor on the side of the air filter box housing, I'm now thinking it might be the MAF, i have a multimeter but I'm not sure what ohms resistance reading i should be gettting to see if its working correct ( i have had a code fault reader on the car and nothing is showing up ) I'm getting about 240 per full tank of fuel and the car says 28 mpg !! hence i thought it might be wear and tear on the old girls engine ...

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  11. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

Mine was the same, 240 miles to a tank, 2nd hand air mass on it and does 350 now.

12. Hobgoblin New Member

i.a.n.b thanks for the reply I'm still wanting to know how to test a maf what voltage should be going in ? i think its 1.4 but not sure and what ohms reading should i get when testing for resistance ?

Any help would be great as struggling here :<(

13. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

fitting 16v head on 8v block will reduce the compression too much for N/A application, so machining the pistons or swapping rods isnt going to help. what you could do is swap 2.0 16v pistons in there, then it would basically be a 2.0 16v internally. you also need to swap the intermediate shaft, oil pump and the timing sprockets on the bottom end as 16v timing belt is different. then you need to change or modify the managment to make it run right, at least with the AGG it has a crank sensor already so abf mangment is plug & play. at the end of the day though, why not just change the entire engine, much less work!

14. Hobgoblin New Member

OK OK I'm not going to change the engine ..... but does any body know how to test a maf sensor ? I have a 1997 MK3 2l 8v AGG GTI thats drinking fuel faster than a wino at a free bar !!! i think my model uses hot film, I'm wanting to know what volt range it uses 0-5v / .5 idle / full throttle 5v ? and what Hz idle and full throttle would be ? [

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  15. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

I didn't test mine, just got one from the scrapyard and banged it on, for the sake of a few quid from the scrappy its worth a try.

16. Hobgoblin New Member

True true but i would like to know how to test one, there must be a way i think i have to use Hz to measure the sound pulse

17. Stewy

Stewy Paid Member Paid Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope it helps..[/QUOTE]

18. Hobgoblin New Member

Many thanks twisted :<)

19. Tony101

Tony101 Forum Member

My poor little Golf has 160k on the clock, it uses minimum oil, but pulls like a train :) and does 37.5 MPG depending if the tyres are inflated or not lol

20. minimattez New Member

what MPG does it need to go down to, to start getting worried?