MK3 Flashing led

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by steved, Dec 30, 2003.

1. steved Forum Member

On my 95 mk3 gti i have a flashing led that comes on when i turn off the ignition, Well it did also the factory alarm dont work anymore can anyone tell me where the wires go from the led and if the alarm uses the same power sorce.

2. pigbladder Forum Addict

you can make an led work when the ign is off by wiring 1 wire to 12v and the other to ign12v..it will only flash when the car is off

3. steved Forum Member

The led is already there and should work I'm just wondering why it dont work and where the wires go to also if this is connected in anyway to my factory alarm.

4. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

I would say it was connected to alarm simply based upon the fact that I haven't seen an alarm in the past decade that didn't have an led.

Stud, as usual, would be your man in this regard and this might be better posted in the Security forum.

However, I'm sure he would need more info. Such as:

When you say "factory" alarm - was it a remote control keyfob type that did the c/l as well?

Do any of the functions still work?

Does the red light light on the keyfob still activate when you press a button?

Did the led come as soon as you switched the ignition off?

Or did it only come on when you activated the alarm?

5. steved Forum Member

I think it was a top of the range scorpion alarm that does the lot locks windows, roof and doors etc. Yes the light used to come on as soon as i turned the ignition off, I think all gti's had this LED that is situated by the ash tray with a row of blank panels. none of the functions on the keyfob work either but the little light does, I've also tried the reset procedure.

6. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

Sounds like a similar one that I had on mine - rectangular key fob with two square buttons?

On mine there was a master reset switch inside the glove box - do you have this?

7. steved Forum Member

No i dont have a reset switch, I think i upset the alarm when i done the engine change.

8. BigNick Forum Member

Steved,

When did u get your engine change done?
    Are you happy with it?

Im having mine done at the mo.The waiting is killing me!

9. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

I used to fit dummy LEDs for people when I was a car alarm fitter.

People whould ask for them if they didn't want to spend out on an alarm!! We would wire them up like you describe.

If its a clifford LED, then it should say clifford around it (but this type doen't flash on its own, the alarm does it).

You'll just have to get stuck in and trace the wire back. Shouldn't be difficult.

10. steved Forum Member

The LED is a factory item i think all MK3s have them.

Steved,

When did u get your engine change done?
    Are you happy with it?

Im having mine done at the mo.The waiting is killing me!

I done the conversion about Four months ago now and I'm still chuffed with it but to much wheel spin and its a b*****d to start in the mornings i dont know why. As with most people I'm off in search of more power pref 300+