Mk3 Fuel Filter

Discussion in 'Engines' started by VmattW, Oct 25, 2003.

1. VmattW New Member

Tried changing the fuel filter on my Mk3 16V Golf today but for some reason can`t get the bracket off! i`ve undone the 2 nuts holding it in place but no matter how hard i try i cannot pull the bracket(holding the filter in place) away from the chassis! What am i doing wrong! :( It seems kinda springy when i pull it, have i got to do something with the clip things i can see from where the nuts were?

So much for a 2 minute job!

2. The Other Simon Forum Member

LOL.

Did exactly the same thing with mine. Those clips you can see are folded pieces of metal, shaped like star washers around the centre hole. They are just pushed onto the studding.

If you are keen you can try and unscrew them (like I did) - and then you realise they just pull off. You need to put quite a bit of force on them - which is a bit scary.

If you are feeling paranoid, you can pick up a spare clip from VW for like 20p.

Simon

3. del_trotter Forum Member

Yeah tell me about it!

It took me over an hour to get that damn thing off... ended up wedging it out with a big screwdriver!

4. VmattW New Member

Nice one cheers for that! I`ll try again at the wkend.
    So i take it the `star shaped washer` part of the clip is between the bracket and chassis, hence couldnt work out how it was held on? Worried i`m gonna snap thge plastic bracket tho coz i used i screw driver before to try levering it off but had no joy!
    Think i`ll leave those clips off when i put it back on tho, i`m sure the nut will be good enough alone! ;)

Cheers again :)

5. The Other Simon Forum Member

You are right matt.

What I was trying to say is that the clips are shaped like star washers on the bit that you can't see because it is between the plastic braket and the chassis.

I think you need the clips because the holes in the bracket are too large. Anyway, once you have done the job, it's easy to do the next time (after another 80,000 miles)

Simon.