MK3 fuelling problems

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Ro, Oct 23, 2003.

1. RO

Ro Forum Member

hi there, posted this on the old forum, i'll try again now.

my MK3 gl (1.8) is running badly the engine doens'nt seem to be fuelling right, it runs ok for a few minutes then splutters on acceleration upto around 4,000 revs.

Its ok when driving very slowly and using minimal acceleration, but when i drive normally it splutters.

Any ideas what this could be??

cheers
    mouse

2. S1MMA Forum Member

have u checked the HT leads and plugs for damage?

3. RO

Ro Forum Member

yeah i think ther ok, and i changed the fuel pump last year so it shouldn't be that, is there a warm up valve or fuel regulator thingy on the single point injection engines and could it be these??

mouse

4. The Other Simon Forum Member

No there isn't.

The problem is likely to be one of the following things:

1. Clogged injector, chuck a double dose of fuel injector cleaner in the fuel tank. Use the single shot stuff like STP, not the regular dose stuff like Red-X.

2. The rubber flange that connects the injector unit to the inlet manifold can split (about the right age to). They are 30 from ECP (ask for a carburettor base flange). Bit of a tricky one to fit - lots of vaccum hoses have to come off.

3. Air leak in the main hose or breather system.

4. Distributor cap or leads.

Simon.

5. RO

Ro Forum Member

AH!!

I checked the base plate thingy and its split, would this cause my problem??
    How much is it likely to be from VW as i'm in milton keynes and so is the big vw parts place.

Mouse

6. The Other Simon Forum Member

It's not doing the engine ay good. It's letting air leak into the inlet manifold and hence the car is running too lean.

Try asking your dealer how much they want, but from memory it was like 50 when I asked them (which is why I bought it from ECP).

It cost me 35 to get it fitted, since I couldn't work out how to get the vacuum hoses off the back on the injection unit without breaking them. Haynes isn't much help.

Simon.

7. RO

Ro Forum Member

done it, car runs better, but still crap, payed thro the nose for a VW service today and the guy said it could be due to a slighty worn rotor arm or one of my vacuum pipes has collapsed, will fix them tommorow.

i got the flange for 25 from Eurocarparts and fitted it this morning bargain, unlike VW main dealers [xx(] 160 for a service!!!! robbery!!

mouse

8. The Other Simon Forum Member

OK,

So it was 2,3 and 4 then.

Result.

Simon.

9. RO

Ro Forum Member

yeah still skips abeat every so often, could it running lean have damaged the spark plugs?? may replace them soon.

cheers for the help, mouse