Mk3 fusebox with no relays section? Anyone know why? ABS MOT fail

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Deluxe, Mar 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Deluxe New Member

Hi, Ive recently got a mk3 GTi 8v from a friend. It runs perfectly. Its an R reg and from the vin I can see it was made in South Africa (U) - dont know if that makes any difference.

Its just failed MOT as the ABS light wasnt coming on at ignition, neither was airbag. I found the plug disconnected. How it got thru mot the last few years before I dont know...

Anyway Ive reconnected the plug behind panel on dash and airbag light works correctly but ABS light stays on.

Ive pulled the fuse box out and compared it to the fusebox faq sticky - mine doesnt have the top most two rows of relays! The ABS fuses are fine but I cant find relays 15 & 16 for the ABS. Ive looked in the engine bay and only found a 20amp fuse near the battery & abs pump. Cant see an ABS Ecu either.

I also tried two different OBD fault code readers and both fail to connect to ECU.

Anyone know whats going on with this car so I can try sort the ABS?

Thanks,

2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  3. Deluxe New Member

Thanks GVK.

Anyone know where the ABS relays might be hiding?

4. Dougie Paid Member Paid Member

Hello, Deluxe,

The South African origin may complicate things, but I wouldn't expect to find those two relays for Abs above the fuse box in an ordinary u.k. prefix-R Gti, just the fuses. The Abs installation was altered during the run.

The earliest cars had the Abs ecu in a plastic box under the mat in the passenger footwell (for r/h steering). Then it was re-located under the rear seat, I've seen them on either side. Both of these types have the relays '79' & '179' attached on top of the fusebox.

Early in 1995, the Abs ecu was combined with the hydraulic modulator block in the engine compartment, and the relays were eliminated, along with the brake limiting valve on the rear axle. These cars have a linkage ('EBV') between the airbag/abs/trailer w/light module (which is a revised part) and the handbrake/brake fluid warning, bringing in a continually lit h/brake warning for some Abs faults

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    GVK likes this.
  5. Deluxe New Member

Thanks Dougie, Ill check those other places..

6. GVK

If your ABS unit looks like the one in the pic it's post 95 so you won't have the seperate relays

7. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

A simple code reader, only reads PIDs from engine related faults.
    A scan tool such as VCDS, will also report other modules on the K line, such as the ABS, Airbag and AC controller.

Our experience here on Club GTI would suggest scanning to confirm. Short of doing so, it is likely the ABS control circuit has failed and needs to be repaired.

The link GVK shared shows what is likely to fail in the ABS controller and how to repair yourself if you are so skilled.

8. Deluxe New Member

Thanks for confirming GVK.

Toyotec, I managed to arrange for someone with a mobile diagnostic unit to drop by last night and scan the GTi - turns out both rear sensors are not reading so Ill test those today or replace them. Good news there were no other faults. I understand they should read 1000ohms or theyre dead. Correct?

9. GVK

Not sure on the resistance readings for the sensors, if they are open circuit (from your fault code) you can easily check that with a meter.

If both rear sensors read the same (good) I would suspect a module fault, or open circuit in your wiring to the module, you can check that at the module connector too.

Toyotec's guide here had similar faults http://clubgti.com/showthread.php?224427-Toyotec-s-how-to-rectify-Golf-3-Teves-ABS-system

Edit -

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  10. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Usually when the module goes down, it shows sensor faults and pump faults (V64).
    When you drive the car viewing the ABS inputs in real time the sensors work!

11. Deluxe New Member

I tested both sensors and the resistance was just above 1000 for both. I also did a voltage test on the sensor with wheels turning and found that neither was measuring any current which made me suspect the reluctant rings...turns out both were spinning on the rear of the disks held in place by the strength of the magnet in the sensor...fitted new rings this morning and traye. Sure enough theres voltage. Turned on ignition and abs light went out!

Thanks for the assistance guys. Happy days.

Toyotec likes this.
  12. GVK

Easy fix then, great!