Mk3 Golf 1.9 TDi - Diesel injector pumps...

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by Jonno, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Jonno New Member

Hi All,

Well firstly its been a while, we sold our beloved Mk2 Golf Gti 8v, then last year I broke up with the g/f and brought a Porsche Boxster S (loved it!). Anyhow, now a home owner so did the sensible thing, brought a cracking Mk3 Golf Tdi, full VW history etc, lovely.

Now...I've done nearly 9000 in the past 4 months, so shes on 138k now, and recently she developed a starting problem, she takes a good 10 - 30 seconds to fire up (depending if cold), and when running was a little lumpy, this suddenly happened, its not like she gradually got worse. My mechanic took a look, changed the heater plugs as 2 were burnt out apparently but she still wasnt starting well at all. After a closer look he said its the diesel injector pump, bits of swarf etc in it, said its starting to break up. Now, he reckons off the top of his head about 600+ to sort it, although he hasnt yet looked at proper prices.

So, has anyone else had this problem, and can anyone recomend somewhere to buy a new pump or where/who does recons for these? I'm based in Bournemouth now. Any advice or pointers would be great :)

Thanks all

Jon

2. Jonno New Member

Diesel Injector pump changed - starts fine but running rough!

Hi all,

Well I had another secondhand pump fitted which seems to have cured the startup issue. Although its now running lumpy and reving itself a bit. Pulling my hair out as its at VW [xx(] and costing a fortune in labour. I spoke to the technian yesterday who said he didnt really know what the problem was. When it was running rough before it had a new 'Advance valve' fitted which cured the rough running but didnt improve the starting (it barely started in the end, or at all). Now I've had this second hand unit fitted, it fires on the first turn, but has rough, lumpy running. When driven, if accelerating etc its fine, its just when the revs are low that it goes rough. Running out of money and ideas fast - can anyone help? Please! [:^(]

Jon