MK3 golf 16v brake conversion

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by Will Bennett, Dec 29, 2021.

1. Will Bennett New Member

Hi all figured this was the best place to ask
    Firstly my car is a 1997 Seat Ibiza GTI (I know this isn’t the place for that but my question includes all parts of a MK3 golf GTI) My car has a AGG engine 2.0 8v and all the suspension appears to be the same as the MK3 Golf GTI with the 2.0 8V. I’m looking to fit some bigger brakes and I’ve found that the MK3 Golf GTI 16v had 288mm front brake discs and as a result bigger callipers, my car currently has a 256mm front brake disc. What is involved in changing them to the 16v set up front and rear? Will the brake lines I have now fit? Will the ABS still work correctly? And what parts need to be changed I.E the upright/hub?
    Help is much appreciated
    Thanks in advance
    Will

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

288, are they 5 stud?
    If so, do you want to use the 5 stud hubs?

3. Will Bennett New Member

Sorry forgot to mention Im currently running a 4 stud set up and ideally would like to keep it that way

4. davidut5 Forum Member

Mk3 8v had 280mm 5 stud, 288 was on bigger vr6. 280mm 4x100 you have on top mk2s but rare and expensive stuff.

5. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Not sure it helps too much but we recently went from 239 to 280 on our MK2. We used Seat Ibiza hubs which had the ABS stuff on (removed for our purposes) which were second hand off eBay. Everything else was new, callipers, carriers etc etc. Total cost was Circa £350. Brake hoses were mk2 gti. Everything bolted up easily enough.
    Your hubs may be fine for the bigger carriers and callipers. @dodgy will know.

6. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

If your hubs are 4 stud with the bolt on caliper/carrier then you can upgrade with early mk3 gti 280mm calipers and ibiza cupra 280mm discs.
    288 don't work off the later mk3 gti/vr6, as far as I know, I tried on my mk2 caddy accidentally.
    Abs is off hub, not disc so should be fine.
    I think the 256 calipers are the same, it's just the carriers that are different, I have a pair of 280mm calipers and carriers if wanted,the calipers worked when removed but need rebuild.

Ibiza uses a mk3 subframe with mk2 golf wishbones, driveshafts etc so not quite mk3, swivel hubs and bearings are mk2 /mk3 4 stud. All the mk3 5 stud wishbones, shafts, anti roll bar etc are different and only swappable as complete set.
    My mk2 has mk3 4 stud wishbones, shafts (and steering track rods as longer on a mk3) to make it widetrack with 4 stud wheels but I'm changing back to narrow track soon so will have all that (nearly new) set up going spare too.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
    PhilRyder likes this.
  7. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

^^^ told ya…….. :thumbup:

dodgy likes this.
  8. Will Bennett New Member

Great info! Thanks a lot

dodgy likes this.
  9. dodgy

Try me best.

10. dodgy

That's 280 calipers and carriers from early mk3 gti, 280mm, then would need g60/6k2 cupra discs.

Attached Files:

11. Will Bennett New Member

How much are you after for the callipers?

12. dodgy

Tried to pm you, but can't at mo.
    Perhaps it's number of posts?
    I'll try again later.
    But 50 plus post