Mk3 golf cab with ABF and twin 45's. ignition solution?

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by DanChave, Mar 20, 2014.

1. DanChave New Member

Hi,

I'm building a mk3 golf cabriolet with an ABF on twin 45's. I will be using a malpassi injection to carb regulator near the fuel tank to step the psi down to 5 psi and then an 85mm malpassi filter king regulator in the bay to step the psi down again to around 3-3.5 psi.

My problem is what to do about ignition? I can't see the ABF distributor working correctly as I will no longer have the TPS and potentiometer from the original TB, no ISV or pressure sensor on the original inlet manifold so all the ecu will have to rely on will be the knock and crank sensors, the temp sensor and the Hall sensor on the dizzy it's self.

Can I simply use a kr distributor to mechanically retard the ignition timing? What do I do about the other mentioned sensors?

Thanks

2. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

KR also uses an ECU, so if you want to keep it simple you need a dizzy with old fashioned bob weights inside and an ignition amp to drive the coil. I am going to need a similar setup soon on ana engine I am building.
    Luminition do a conversion which works well, but isn't cheap. I am told you can use a 205gti dizzy, but haven't tried.
    I am interested in what others have to say on this.
    10 deg static rising to 35 degrees at 4000rpm would be nice
    Jon

3. DanChave New Member

Thanks for your input on this subject Jon, it's the last piece of the puzzle for me, before I start the conversion. I'm also interested what other people have to say as well, as there are many ways to skin a cat. Any idea if you can use the ABF dizzy cap, coilpack and leads with the 205 GTI distributor?

4. mickey marrows Forum Member

Why not use megasquirt? (it can run ignition only)

You can then use the ABF dizzy and crankshaft sensor and fully mapable ignition timing. You can even (like my own ABF) convert to sequential COP.

Also using the megasquirt ECU means you can convert to throttle bodies at any time.

There's also a lot of users of megasquirt on here, so support and maps will be easy to access

5. molegti Forum Member

6. DanChave New Member

I do like the idea of running megasquirt, however with just forking out for the carbs, manifold, linkage, regs and fuel lines and fittings, for the moment I'm looking for a fairly inexpensive solution to get me up and running!

7. DanChave New Member

Cheers for that link molegti, I'll have a good read up of that later :)

8. DanChave New Member

So, after looking around, at various forms of ignition control, I have decided that megasquirt seems to be the best bet! The problem is now, deciding which version I need! I want to buy right and buy once as it were, but I don't want to buy options that I don't have to either.