Mk3 golf fuel tank conversion

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by Coldforged, Sep 17, 2021.

1. Coldforged Forum Member

I hope someone can help with the following issue I'm having. I've tried to narrow down why this is happening but I can't seem to find anything.

I've followed the necessary threads for the conversion and it was quite easy, but after fitting everything to my early corrado I can't shut the fuel filler flap due to the fuel cap protruding.

Everything is bolted up where it should be.

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

We had a similar problem on the green golf, but was still mk2 tank, we ended up changing the cap to a lower profile one, similar protrusion, probably not the answer you were looking for, but cured it. Have you tried it with no cap to check?
    On my mk2 when fitted the mk3 tank, the first time took a lot of wiggling with loose fittings before it was 100%

3. Coldforged Forum Member

I haven't yet, I gave up once I saw the fuel flap wouldn't shut haha.

Where did you buy the Lower profile fuel cap?

It was a bit of a faff trying to get fuel tank straps back on, especially on my own.

4. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  5. Coldforged Forum Member

Thank you dodgy, I'll get one ordered.

I've just been to check and the filler flap does shut when the cap is removed, which is a bonus. I'm surprised I've not read this issue on the how to threads.

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I think the issue may be becasue you have a corrado, not a mk2 golf. you'll probably need a late corrado tank, the late kjet ones still had the tank you need as well as the g60 and vr6

only reason this happens in a mk2 golf is when the bolts up in the wheel arch holding the filler cap are missing, usually because the bracket has rotted off. if your corrado mounts are ok, its probably a difference in the body shell thats causing your issue

7. Coldforged Forum Member

Hi rubjohnny,

I had a feeling that may have been the case but was trying to stay positive! Lol.

But thanks for confirmation. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong part but it is for my 1.8t corrado at least

8. rubjonny

I'm not 100% sure on that, but yeah get in the wheel arch and make sure the filler neck bolt is tight, theres a little adjustment you can do here as well loosen the straps off and give it a shove and wiggle

9. Coldforged Forum Member

To be fair I have tried multiple ways of tightening up the straps, the filler neck and trying to maneuver the tank. But no success.

But I appreciate the feedback.

Would a MK3 GTI fuel pump housing fit in a Corrado VR6 tank?

Thanks

10. rubjonny

yeah the mk3 and corrado larger type fuel pumps all the same fit :)

11. Coldforged Forum Member

Thanks again rubjonny.

I've sourced a vr6 corrado tank without pump so watch this space haha.

12. BRI

bri Forum Member

Had this problom when I fitted a mk3 abf fuel tank in a mk2 ,filler cap would nt close flush!
    Think I got a lower profile cap from another car but I can't for the life in me remember what....

13. rubjonny

as I say you probably had problems with the fixings for the filler neck, the bracket up there rots off and the tank filler then pokes out. as long as all is well the mk3 tank fints fine with standard mk2/3 cap, just slightly lower than the mk2 one does

14. Coldforged Forum Member

I managed to source a corrado vr6 but due to it being a larger tank it doesn't fit my early corrado. Lesson learned to do more research lol. So now I have a complete mk3 gti tank and a corrado vr6 one.

I will have to fit my standard tank back yawn. Could I upgrade the oe lift pump to something more manly or am I best off fitting a inline pump where the accumulater etc was?

Thanks

15. rubjonny

ah that sucks, people have fitted uprated lifter pump in yeah or just as you say fit an external pump and swirl pot unerneath

16. Coldforged Forum Member

My thinking was, I would have to replace my lifter due to age. So I thought maybe put a dw65 in and be done.

Could that work @rubjonny?

Thanks

17. rubjonny

ewll the original is held in place by a couple rubber bands and a hose, so anything you can do would be an improvement :lol: main thing is if you rely on the in-tank unit as the only pump in the system you'll probably want to design some kind of swirl pot to keep it supplied with fuel