MK3 Golf GL TDI

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by EA337, May 13, 2007.

1. EA337 Forum Member

I have had this car a few weeks and have found that I'm only getting just over 400miles to a full tank (55litres) I find this disturbing as my 1989 Golf GTI will do 390. It has just been through its MOT and the emissions were spot on.

Any likely causes for this poor economy? New glow plugs required or something? She still drives spot on, turbo is fine, not using vast amounts of oil or anything.

2. voteforpedro Forum Member

I've got a CL TDi and I get 500 miles off a 43ish tank of diesel. Hope this helps.

3. OIL3808 Forum Member

my dad's got one of these a 93 gl td his gives him about 500-550miles of a full tank but it depends on how quick he changes gears he normally short shifts so gets round 550 of a tank full but it's been round the clock 1.5times in a book i've got it says they do 800miles to a tank full at a constant 60mph or something like that but 400 seems abit low just change the usual items air filter etc i think it seems about right though hope this helps

4. arienol Forum Member

That is quite poor. What is your driving style like? What type of driving do you do? (Town, A-road, Mway etc).

5. Seraph Banned

that is bad, circa 33mpg

when was the mot, surely not recently?

any other symptoms? hows the brakes?

possible causes should have shown up on the smoke test

6. EA337 Forum Member

MOT'd in Mid April 2007. All ok. Brakes are fine. I only use it for commuting to and from work which is all motorway (round trip of 112miles a day.)

7. mcoulter785 New Member

Mileage

My 1997 mk3 golf 1.9 td is only getting between 300 and 330 miles maximum out of a fuel tank. It has been serviced and everything checked and they say thats all that I can get out of it. But all I do is motorway miles, if you find out what is causing yours to get less mpg let me know so that I can try it out

8. Seraph Banned

and it definately passed the smoke test properly?