mk3 golf gti gearbox oil change

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by yardi29, Mar 15, 2007.

1. yardi29 Forum Member

hello all how are you?
    i have a mk3 gti 8v and im going to replace the gearbox oil at the weekend the cars done 96000 miles what kind should i change it with ?cheers peeps.

2. Supercharged Forum Member

Redline MT90 - Demon Tweeks

3. yardi29 Forum Member

cheers for that fella

4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

how much is that? from what ive read else where it is major overkill.

i went for millers semi synth, same spec as what came with the car.

personally, i would buy some uber cheap crap first to flush out the old (96k old) oil and then put the new stuff in

gearbox oil smell so nice!

5. yardi29 Forum Member

where did you get that oil from matt and how much? is it easy enough to get to the gearbox plug?

6. oak8vgti Forum Member

i just used some of the new oil to flush out the old stuff the redline stuff is great even tho it is costly, i have it now in my vr6 box and as its never changed then id say the extra cost is worth it

7. yardi29 Forum Member

ok oak ive seen the stuff on demon tweeks they want 20 notes including delivery but the tub looks really small do you know how many litres the bottles hold?

8. oak8vgti Forum Member

yeah its not cheap, the stuff i used was redline MT-90 not MTL, the bottle holds 1 us quart or 0.946 of a litre, i bought 3 bottles but only used 2

also quite lucky, as DT is only 30 mins from where i live

Last edited: Mar 15, 2007
  9. yardi29 Forum Member

ok sweet mate so how much do u reckon id need ?for a 8valve box?

10. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

mine was 2L too.

i got mine from a local Millers supplier. 10 a litre i think.

the drain plug is easy if you have the right tool. its a 17mm allen/hex thing basically. you can get sockets for the job, or use a wheel nut/bolt etc