Mk3 golf short shifter kit

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by Gazgolf158, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Gazgolf158 New Member

Hi I'm new on here and was wondering if anyone knows/could tell me if there was a short shifter kit for mk3 golf gti think my gearbox 020 it's from a 8v golf, I seen a guy with a mk3 golf and his shifter stick sat really low but I can't find any on the web any help be good thanks

2. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

A low 'stick may simply be a "ghetto" short-shift, ie; the gear stick has literally been shortened.

This will give a slightly shorter feeling throw, but not actually give a quicker shift.

What you need for a real short-shift is something like the Neuspeed short-shift kit.

The gear-stick will remain the same length, but will move upto 50% less. I had the same kit on my Mk2 (same gearbox), and it was pretty effective.

3. GAZ4149

GAZ4149 New Member

Yeh I 2nd stu's post.
    I was doing a rebuild at the time so what I did might not be budget or time efficient for you.

I changed the shifter/gear linkage cable box out for a mk4 (ball joint style I heard was a better feel - which it is, as I now know!)
    coupled with the mk4 shifter tower off a mk4 gearbox (can't remember the code but it's still in my garage if you need it) which I dropped straight into my CDA box. This then allowed me to stick an audi TT short shift weight on the tower. 30 or less from audi dealer.
    I can tell you she is fun and quick! Pretty happy I decided to give it a go.

4. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

That's fine for an cable-change 02A 'box, but the 8v Mk3s (like the OPs) used the 020 rod-change 'box from the Mk2... ;)

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

easy to diy these, couple options.

a favourite is to take the shift rod off the gearbox itself then bend it so its a right angle, thus lowering the upper metal shift hole slightly. just make sure you leave enough room to refit the short plastic shift end!

the other way is to make up a bit of metal with 2 holes, bolt this on the end of the relay shaft on the steering rack thus moving the metal shift rod hole further forward. you could make the bolt hole slotted for variable throw adjustment :thumbup:

edit: so this here rod in the middle, either move the hoel on the left forward or the hole on the right down. you can see mine has had the right angle mod done :)
    [​IMG]