MK3 GTi 8v

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Carl Bear, May 28, 2010.

1. Carl Bear New Member

Car started pretty much standard when i bought it in Jan.
    Sold my Vectra middle of April so used the money from that to buy a few things for the Golf.

When i bought it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

last weekend started work on it

changed the steering column (had a slight clunk)
    [​IMG]

Cleaned out throttle body (had a slightly lumpy idle)
    [​IMG]

Bought a set of FK AK street coilovers, so fitted them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Got to let them settle for a couple of weeks, then i will tweak the stance and get a full geometry check.
    Think im goin to cut the bump stops in half on the front (and maybe the rear) this weekend, its kind of bouncy so i think im runnin on them.

Got a set of MK3 Anniversary wheels (BBS) from a guy on Edition 38 forums.
    [​IMG]
    Goin to give them a refurb and a bit of colour. Am goin to polish the lips and im not sure on a colour for the centers yet, at the min, im thinkin Gold, but will probably change my mind before i start them.

This is how it sits at the minute.
    [​IMG]
    The front coilovers are as low as they go with the helpers in, and the rear has about 40mm of threads left, butlike i said it needs to settle for another week or so, then i can tweak how it sits. Might lower the rear a bit this weekend tho.

This weekend im hopin to do a bit more to the car.

Ive just took delivery of a VR6 front splitter,
    and this exhaust - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270556262493 (goin to change the tip to a 45degree bend that will come out and up at an angle (if you can understand me)),
    Im waitin for a set of metal pressed plates with german font to come,
    and im waitin for a pair of indicators (front bumper ones) so i can getthe fogs and blanks back in (clips have broke on the indicators in at the minute),
    Goin to paint the badges on the car black.

few more plans,
    I want a new steering wheel, a rally style wheel i think,
    retrim the headlining and pillar trims (not sure with what yet tho),
    im goin to smoke the headlights (with lamin-x film and paint the insides),
    and tint the fogs, indicators and blanks yellow (again with lamin-x film).
    want a 12" alpine sub (want a stealth box so i dont take up boot space) and Apline speakers.

Think thats about it. [:D]

2. gtiballs Forum Member

car looks clean:thumbup:
    look forward to seeing more pics when finished,especially the exhaust,think it might look better without the upswept pipe thjough:thumbup:
    [​IMG]

3. Carl Bear New Member

Small update -

got round to doin a few jobs on the car over the weekend.
    Fitted the VR6 splitter,
    Re-fitted the fog lights and blanks,
    Fitted the painted grill badges,
    and Removed the rear wiper.

Monday, me and the misses and 3 mates went camping, the exhaust was knockin against the rear beam, and since ive cut the bump stops down im gettin some scrubbin on the front arches when on almost full lock. goin to see if i can just shave the arches back slightly (plastic bits).

Need to fit the new exhaust next.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Carl Bear New Member

decided to take the arch trims off last night. was a little nervous after reading alot about rust and arches falling off, but went ahead anyway.

Think i was quite lucky, no rust or anything, just the line in the clear where the edge of the trims ran.

i still need to lower the rear some more, made even more apparent now the trims are off.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i think i found where the annoying rattling is comin from too, the down pipe heat shield, tried to bend it about but the noise is back, so i need to find a way or sortin it properly.

[​IMG]

I also fixed the badly fittin VR splitter (passenger side kept popping off) with a bit of plastic weldin. pretty much all the clips are loose, so i welded the 2 end clips and the 4 middle ones to the bumper, seems to have sorted it.

5. Carl Bear New Member

The RXII's are bein a right nightmare to split, and ive given up for a while, and ive decided to get my old vectra winter wheels out and stick them on the golf.

they are off a Vaux Omega, 16x7 so should fit nicely with a set of adapters.

quick photoshop of them on the car. Im thinkin about paintin them white at the minute.

[​IMG]

6. Ian D Forum Member

like the wheel choice!

7. Carl Bear New Member

thanks, had them in the garage for a while and didnt even think about them till i was clearing some space and found them.

8. Carl Bear New Member

Quick photoshop of plans for the Golf
    [​IMG]

9. wadders

wadders Forum Member

Looks good, are you putting the arch trims back on?

Is the car colour 'Dragon Green'? I recon that's the best VW colour for looking good after this many years.

I've just finished a set of RX2's which were a real pain to get sorted. Are you having trouble with rounded or broken bolts?

10. Carl Bear New Member

yeah its dragon green, nice colour i think.

im havin trouble with rounded heads and snapped bolts, they are proper seized in. have pretty much given up on them for a bit now. the wheels in the photoshop suit the look im after better now anyway.

im thinkin about puttin the arches back on, ill get it close t how it looks without the arches on then i can mock it up with the arche son to see which look i prefer. at the min tho im thinkin with arches.

thanks for the comments :thumbup:

11. Richardc New Member

Hey I know its been 10 plus years but I now own this car ,just letting you know its still going lol

12. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Cool, how is it now?

13. Richardc New Member

So low the doors hit kerbs when opened ,it needs new front wings as the years of wheel rubbing have tock there toll other than that is the same ,I've recently fitted recaro interior as drivers seat bolster was shot

Tristan likes this.