MK3 GTI Lambda Sensor

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by Horris0123, Jul 28, 2023.

1. Horris0123 New Member

My 8v ADY engine has been running like a pig just lately; rough start up, engine hunting on idle, rev needle bouncing about all over and exhaust smelling rich with sooty black liquid dumping out at start up. Anyway, diagnostics say Lambda sensor, which to be fair seems the obvious given the above plus the fact that the one in there hasn't been changed in the 20 years I've owned the car.
    Ordered a new one, no problem unclipping the old one in the engine bay and disconnecting the sensor from the exhaust CAT (needed to special removal socket though) but has anyone any tips on how I get the new one threaded through the engine bay bulk head? There's absolutely no open path between the socket in the engine bay to the top of the connector on the CAT. I reckon it must be a common problem because even the instructions that come with the new sensor say snip the two ends off the old one then splice on the two ends that need to be snipped off the new one, (I reckon that only needs doing at the actuall sensor end though, the plug end in the engine bay seems still sound). Is this common practice? Any advice please.

Sorry, forgot to add that I can't simply pull through using old sensor cable as the one in there is taped/bound up to other wiring also running through the bulk head.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2023
  2. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Snipping the wires and reconnecting is not uncommon especially if the plug is a generic one and needs the original attached. The other alternative is to drill a separate suitable hole in the bulkhead with a new grommet. Is the new sensor cable long enough?

3. Horris0123 New Member

Aye, the cable is 1m long. Guess I'm going to be spending some time under there with the car on ramps!