MK3 GTI Seat Rattle

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by trs, Nov 3, 2003.

1. TRS

trs Forum Member

Got a mk3 '97 GTI with a really annoying rattle. Seems to be coming from the back seat on the drivers side of the car. If someone sits there, it stops. Have taken then seat out and cant see anything obvious. Any ideas?

2. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

Keep your mate in the back.

3. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

Same here with 98 GTI. Haven't investigated it thoroughly but I'd assumed it was where the seat catch is. If you grab the top of the seat and give it a wobble you may hear the sound.

The other thought was the parcel shelf support as it's only held in by those stupid push on nut shaped washers and there might be one missing.

Since I've put coilovers on there seems to be a new rattle every day...... so I just put the music on LOUD.

4. swax Forum Member

Check under the seat for any loose nuts/bolts etc, seatbelt mounts, speaker grilles.

I had a loose screw rattling around in the wing cavity from where someone had uprated the speakers and left a screw in there...

5. TRS

trs Forum Member

Took the car into my local dealer today for a service, and asked them to look at the rattle as well.

They've just phoned me and told me that "The strikers for the rear seat needed to be tightened and lubricated", so hopefully when I pick it up at the end of the day, I should have a aqueak free car! [:D]

6. swax Forum Member

Nice....

until the next one comes along... as Mr Brown said, new rattles occur every day, especially if you're ahem 'bedding it in' after its service. (E.g. Caining it to F..fulham and back)

7. Golf-Fiend Forum Member

Did you sort it? I have got exactly the same problem as you!!! Doing my bloody head in [:s]Got various mates to sit in the back to try to detect it but as soon as they do it doesnt rattle any more. Arrrgggggg!!! Even enlisted the help of a small niece but she didn't like being locked in the boot in the dark and started to cry.

I'm guessing it could be the top suspension mounts or something in the tailgate. Need to find it soon before I beat my car to death with a small tree. I had better go and let the kid out the boot now. It's been a week or so now and her mum is asking questions ;)

8. TRS

trs Forum Member

Yeah,

When my local dealer Inchcape serviced the car, they fixed the squeak at no extra charge. They told me that they tightened and lubricated the strikers that the seat clips onto. Hope that helps?! :)

9. redrabbitrun New Member

drop your struts out and replace the bushes. i`ve got the squeak too in my valver and will be sorting it this weekend.
    top mount bushes 6 a side from vag dealer. had the same in my mk1 so will keep you posted.
    squeak stops when loaded up cause of the strain on the suspension i tink.