mk3 gti side skirts plastic trim

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by gmaatt, Jul 30, 2007.

1. gmaatt New Member

Hi,

Thanks to phatman and obvious for their comments regarding the airvent directer.

I have another question; I want to renew the plastic trim on the side skirts of my gti. I read on another thread that one has to remove an end part and the trim slides onto grooves on the car. Is is really so simple to replace?

Thanks again

and.......... my alloy wheels are really blackened by brakedust/rain/oil, that will not easily come off - is there a wondrous cleaner that might sort it so that they look as they did several years ago (below)?

pic of my gti to illustrate my query
    [​IMG]

2. Obvious Forum Member

The trim in question comes of very easily yes, You may find that one end that one of the securing parts is riveted at the end of the sill. Usually this is on the front end of the car. You shouldn't need to replace this part, but if you want too you will have to drill the rivet out.

Easiest way to take it off is start at the back and gently pull the end catch away towards you (see pic), the rest of the trim will come away with it as you gently pull it away. Just take it easy as you are pulling it away from the sill so not to bend it. Just keep popping it off all the way and when you get near to the end if you just slide it towards the rear of the car it should come away from the front catch.

[​IMG]

Fitting is just the reverse, slide the trim back into the front catch, then tap it back into the plastic clips along the sill with the palm of your hand until you get to the end. Again just tap the rear catch back in place. Very easy to do :)

If you wish to replace all the plastic including the sill covers, that requires a little more work, but going from your question I am just guessing you mean the trim that runs along the top of the sill extensions.

As for the wheels, any quality dedicated wheel cleaning product should see the wheels come up new. There is an endless choice on the market.

Hope that helps you mate.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  3. voteforpedro Forum Member

Where do you live? If you manage to take your old ones off without breaking them and they're in OK condition, I'll buy 'em. ;)

4. gmaatt New Member

Hi Vote4Pedro,

The trims I am replacing are completely knackered, rusty, bent and some of the plastic had come off, I'd not replace otherwise. You might be fooled by the image above, which is of my car when I first bought it :/

I am in SE London, I will post image of them when they have been removed so you can see if they are worth having, yea? I'll msg you and post pics here.

5. markyboy96 New Member

is there any where you can buy the trims as my dog has ripped the drivers side off

6. Lukey Forum Member

the part nos are on the backs, give it to a parts supplier they will get you it, i got mine just from a vw stealer.
    my car is in bits at the moment both skirts are getting replaced as they just fell off so if you want part nos i can get em for you off the backs of my rknackered ones

7. burk76

burk76 Forum Member

any idea how much they are from the stealers as mine are knackered and could do with some new ones

8. Lukey Forum Member

17 a side

9. markyboy96 New Member

they are 30 per side i have just bought mine

10. Lukey Forum Member

must have seen you coming mate, they were 17 a side at my local, i got the driver side strip few weeks ago