Mk3 GTi/VR6 owners, I need your help!

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by stew72, Sep 23, 2010.

1. stew72 Forum Member

If you have a mk3 GTI or VR6 with the combined abs pump and ecu unit (approx 1995 onwards) would you mind taking a look at something and post your findings in this thread?

On the ecu there is a multiplug. The front section of this consists of 21 terminals in 3 rows of 7, not all of which are populated. In amoungst all the wires is one that does not go into the loom, it is just a "jumper" between 2 of those 21 terminals.

What I need to know is what 2 terminals this is connecting on your car. For consistancy please refer to terminals as viewed from the front of the car, so the 3 rows will be left (nearest the pump), middle and right (nearest the expansion tank) and number each row 1 to 7, 1 being at the front and 7 nearest the bulkhead at the back.

Please could you also tell me what model your car is (GTI 8v, GTI 16v or VR6) and the month and year of registration in your post

Many thanks.

Stew

2. ShoCk Forum Member

I sincerely hope people are bothered to remove their scuttle panel to have a look for you.

On the other hand, I had a problem with my car, so think I took a picture, i'll try digging it out and getting back to you!

3. Jaundice

Jaundice Forum Member

Will be changing the ABS controller on the Mrs valver soon I'll take pictures when I do but it won't be for a couple of weeks...

4. stew72 Forum Member

No need to remove anything - the abs ecu is bolted to the bottom of the abs pump, all wires are pretty easy to see, seeing exactly what terminals the wire goes to could well need a torch though

5. stew72 Forum Member

Just the location of the two terminals would do mate.

The upshot of this could be how to make a more common abs pump and ecu set up work with your car, thus making potentially expensive problems less expensive.

6. Jaundice

Jaundice Forum Member

Nevermind more common, how about more reliable:lol:

Are there any MK3's out there that dont have the orange light on?

7. GTI_ELSTON New Member

yh mine and my stepdads. both 16v's

8. Winso Forum Member

Mk3 16v GTI = ABF

ABF = Anti-lock Brake Failure

VW have it all planned.

9. *R32* New Member

Stew,

You are trying to solve the same problem as me I think. Getting an ABS pump to work in a car it wasnt intended for. In my case, Golf pump into Seat Toledo ABS harness in a Mk2.

Mk3 golfs with ABS+EDL have the following, assuming Teves Mk20 system;
    1995 onwards, pins 7 and 22 linked.
    1998 onwards, pins 15 and 21 linked.

I will be getting the infor for non-EDL wiring soon from my source at VW.

Also, for coding the systems using VCDS;
    Post 02/1995 golfs = 03604
    Post 07/1996 golfs = 03704

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  10. stew72 Forum Member

my info has turned out a little different - but it was got from wiring diagrams.

I think I have found that the later cars (after mid 96, abs ecu 3A0 907 379D & abs/edl ecu 3Ao 907 379E) seem to have the same wiring configuration, so if you cahnge the whole unit including the pump it "should" work.

Earlier cars (95-mid 96 abs ecu 3A0 907 379 & 3A0 907 379A) appear to have different wiring configurations, but I've only got wiring diagrams to go by for this, so the accuracy is in question.

11. *R32* New Member

Correct. I converted my SEAT loom to work with a Golf ABS pump by linking pins 7 & 22. I also tested an ABS/EDL pump and this works, will be fitting this weekend. Both controllers had soft code 3704.

UK VW current flow diagrams are only available for ABS/EDL cars and show the two configurations I stated above. My guess would be that very early cars have pins 7/22 linked but have softcode 3604 instead.

If you are fitting a new pump then buy a later Golf type and fit a link between pins 7 & 22. This definately works.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  12. Jaundice

Jaundice Forum Member

Any joy fitting an alternative pump? I've just changed the controller on my 16V and still got the same O/S Rear fault

13. monkeyzoo Forum Member

That's pretty much my sig!

Not true in my current valver though (touch wood).

14. Vinty Forum Member

I have a 96 16v with the same problem do I just need to replace the ecu under the pump or can it be something else? Have had the sensor changed and swapped with the other side still shows ns rear fault [:^(]