Mk3 Hatred

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by GolfD, Jan 11, 2007.

1. GolfD Forum Member

Why do loads of people 'in the scene' seem to hate mk3 Golfs and Ventos?
    It seems like people turn there nose up at them, but i like all of them. They can look so good.

So come on guys! Explain!

(just some examples i like)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Read up about the history of the golf gti and you might understand why the mk3 is possibly the least liked out of the 5 generations...

3. GolfD Forum Member

I understand about the mk3 gti compared with the mk2 gti. But im talking more about the looks.
    There is no gti version of the vento (just vr6?) but people still hate them. Is it because theyve got fat arses?!

4. mexicorich Forum Member

Pretty much!
    Fat and heavy although having had a couple of Mk3s I think they can look really ace when you concentrate on smoothing their cuddly appearance :-) !

Unfortunately that magenta Mk2 you have put up demonstartes just how hated a Mk3 can be if its ever so slightly wrong whereas the others are seriously cool

And ATS Cups are always cool!

5. madmonkey Forum Addict

There was a Vento GT. 2.0 16v IIRC.:thumbup:

6. GolfD Forum Member

Which magenta mk2?

7. sportline Forum Junkie

i'll tell you why i hate them! and yes ive owned one.

they dont handle. yes i know, if you sort the suspension blah blah blah, any car handles if you "sort" the suspension. but its a gti, its meant to handle.

Its slow, yes they are. i dont care which engine youve got. its underpowered, because the car is to heavy. mine was the 16v and it was crap. never been in a quick mk3 myself.

they rust. ive seen loads of really tatty mk 3 gti's, i mean dog ruff. mine was starting to rust underneath it was r reg and that was 2 years ago.

uncomfortable, if your lucky enough to have the rare recaro's well done, but the standard seats are terrible

gear change. that cable change box is possibly the worst one ive used, awfull.

ugly. in standard form there neither attractive, or menacing, they just look crap.

hard to sell. i advertised mine, which was by all accounts "a good un" nobody wants them.

so there just a few reasons why i hate the mk3. they are terrible cars. i really do think that. i'll put up with anythng form a car. but i can never forgive "blandness".

8. Jonny777 Forum Member

TBH with you mate, none of those Mk3's you've posted look any good. All are lowered far too much, have 5 doors in most cases and just look fat! Not to mention the roof rails look poo! If done properly Mk3's can look extremely nice, none of those really capture that! Sorry! IMO anyway!
    Jonny.

9. sportline Forum Junkie

that brown one looks like what my mate leaves floating in my toilet on a regular basis. dirty ****er

10. David Number 2 Forum Member

your examples are pretty balls to be honest. This one is one of my favorite. I dont generally like them either..

[​IMG]

11. Nev93

Nev93 Forum Member

Alas i think you may be incorrect.. The Vento GT ( not launched in UK) was just the 2.0 GL model but it came with better wheels, arches and Gt Badges..

They never made a 2.0 16v Vento as far as i know. Although i will gladly be proved wrong! [:$]

12. Jonny777 Forum Member

Very much agreed David! :)
    Jonny.

13. vduben Forum Member

:lol:
    they look nice when the wheels stick out a slight more than the front, and i like em slammed,
    but compared to mk 2's there is loads of different looks that look the dogs nutz:)

14. madmonkey Forum Addict

Bummer, done a bit of research, looks likt the GT was an 8 valve cross-flow engine (as in the new Beetle)

15. Nev93

Nev93 Forum Member

TBH i like the vento.... good thing really as i just bought another one... just got to find somewhere to put it!!! lol.....

Im not a big fan of the Mk3 hatchback. i just dont think the lines look right.

But its a sign of the times that the mk3 and the rest got bigger and heavier.. The first Mk4 GTI's that came out came out with the same 115bhp engine as the Mk3 Gti. Plus im sure that the Mk3 is better 'aerodynamically' than the mk2.

Plus its just down to individual taste.

16. GolfD Forum Member

I thought the 4 door mk3 would really wind the haters up lol

The green one above is nice but a bit boring to me... (i dont want to offend! It is nice!)

I like these aswell,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i cant beleive how stupid people must be to think they are fat etc. only a handful of kg more than a mk2 golf..... or do you all just base your opinions on what car mags say instead of finding out for yourself.

18. garfayliu Forum Member

isn't is a case of each to their own, everyone has their preference with the golf marques. in the same way most people hate m3 mirrors and lexus tail lights, doesn't mean people shouldn't use them. vw are after all the peoples car, and back in the late 80s early 90s when the mk3 was designed, i'm sure they aimed it at the then more conservative/safety conscience minded folks.

i won't go down the route of performance figures as that's been covered many times, its the experience of the drive that makes the car. I can only comment on the marques I've driven, mk2 is responsive, mk3 is refined, mk4 is modern.

any car upgraded/modified/customised can look great.

19. sixpot Forum Member

^^Matt Welcer's Anni in those pics above^^ Lovely car.

20. mexicorich Forum Member

Only a handfull of kilos heavier than a Mk2....?????????????????

The Golf Mk3, as Noel Edmunds would say - Blobby, Blobby, Blobby!