MK3 Jacking & Lifting Points?

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by Coog, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Coog New Member

I've done lots of searching and can't find the info I'm after. Basically I bought a MK3 GTi and it had some rot around the front jacking point. Over the weekend I welded it all up and it's good as new.

I'm keen not to damage my nice new repair so am looking advice on the best spot to jack the car up at the front. Some people mention the front engine mounting area? (using a proper trolley jack, not the widow maker).

Second and probably most important question for me... is there any points other than the sill on the MK3 for lifting with a 2 poster? I have access to one at tech but again I don't want to use the sills where possible.

I see there is a nice mod for the MK4's - http://www.r32oc.com/performance-te...t-mod-worthwhile-look-plus-install-guide.html

I don't know whether something similar exists for the MK3? Be good if it did.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

you can use the subframe as well as logn as you dont need to take it off. i use the round area around the rear wishbone mounting bolt on mine the jack fits nicely in there.

for factory lifting points see my sig 'g3lifting.pdf'

3. atlas2l8v Forum Member

same here as what Rubjonny says;...my cars low so drive up on piece of wood first so can get jack under

4. vr6smith Forum Member

I use the front subframe to take the front end of the ground, you can also use the point that the front suspension meets the chassis, just behind the front wheels, and the point the rear beam meets the chassis as mentioned already, just infront of the rear wheels. I had mine on a four post lift and used these points, the sills are too week as are the jacking humps that vw recommend to use.

5. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

I know this is a super old thread but - I had a look at the pdf but didn't quite get what I needed... I've jsut bought a mk3 and want to get up in the air safetly.

I can see the subframe where it meets the chassis is a good place to lift but Q - where do you put the jack stands if you don't fancy using the sills or that hump VW recommend?

Cheers!

6. rubjonny

its still in my google docs, link in my signature :)
    If you're on a mobile device the link is hidden, clicky here

the sills/hump is where you should be lifting from, if you suspect the factory jack point is too corroded to use and you need to remove the subframe then sills it is. Just be sure to make/buy a proper adaptor so you're lifting on the actual sill, not the pinch weld running along it. see your widowmaker jack for details ;)

7. MJA

Cheers found it :)

I'll take a look. My sills are are ok (for a mk3). The hump things next the subframe are looking solid but have surface rust I'd like to attend to. Well fingers crossed it is surface rust [:D]

Trying to get it to fire up at the mo. Separate thread inbound...

8. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Your documents have helped me no end, found the other day by accident that no link if reading on mobile normally, but turning it sideways the links appear.

9. rubjonny

problem with mk2/3/etc type jack points is they usually rot away from the inside, so first you know of it is when jack goes up but car does not :lol:

10. MJA

That's not good! I've been under and inspected mine with my trusty screw driver and they "seem" solid but have surface rust where the underseal has flaked off.

I think i'll avoid using them for now.. I reckon i can jack on the bolt that meets the subframe/chassis leg and place an axel stand on the subframe with wood to spread the load in the short term? Can you jack these cars at the front anywhere - like the cross member (i think it's called that) behind the rad?

11. rubjonny

jacking on the subframe rear wishbone bolt is fine, as is supporting on subframe with jack stands if the subframe doesnt need to come off. main thing is get it secure under there so it wont easily slide off. front crossmember probably be ok but a bit awkward, plus if you're doing any work in the bay it helps to remove all of that to get good access

MJA likes this.