Mk3 rear handles onto Mk2 front??

Discussion in 'Security' started by Viper, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Viper Forum Member

Will this work? Need them asap but just wondering if they would screw straight in and whether or not the internals are similar??

Cheers.

Any help appreciated. Need pair asap as have no drivers door access at the minute! [:^(]

2. zcacogp Forum Member

No.

You'll need some surrounding metal from the Mk3, and then cut the Mk2 ones out and weld in the Mk3's. Same job as for the Audi handles (which look poo IMHO. Stick with the stock ones, the way VW made them).

Oli.

3. Viper Forum Member

DOH! Too much work for a mere pauper like myself! ;)

Do you have any idea of ANY handles other than the standards that will go straight on. Else it's the scrappie for me.... rummage, rummage. :p

Cheers.

Rob

4. zcacogp Forum Member

What's wrong with the ones VW fitted in Wolfsburg? (Sorry, I just like my cars stock-looking. Call me simple ... )

I don't know of any easy swaps. You can get porsche lookalike covers which kind of screw on. But they look grim. Or try some chrome inserts from a Mk1 - easy job. Or just use the standard ones, and enjoy good, not-fannied-around-with engineering.

Oli.

5. thegolffather Forum Member

on the vwvortex forum they discuss chinese mk2
    door handles. They look like the ones off a mark 3
    but fit a mk2. May be worth a look!! Or look on ebay
    Edited by: thegolffather

6. Viper Forum Member

It's not that I don't like the style, its just I think they are a little annoying sometimes. It's okay now though. Went to the scrappie and got some off another golf... What? 60 for pair from VW. 3 from scrappie! :)

Only proplem was I think the rear ones are a little different in the way that I had to either have the adp or the plastic seal cos they both wouldn't fit on together, even with some modifying ;) . I chose to keep the adp on as they fit snuggly and don't think it'll cause too much of a prob.

Been in contact with the guy that has those chinese handles and thought it was too much hastle cos it's in America. Oh well, problem sorted now. Should have just gone to the scrappie in the first place [:s] . I can now successfully get into my car now through the driver's door... YAY! [:D]

Cheers all for the help. Muchas appreciated! [:*:]

Rob

7. zcacogp Forum Member

Viper,

Glad it's sorted. Enjoy the standard look .... I do! No, seriously, the Mk3 handles are a better design - chunkier and easier to use. But if you go swapping one part like this, then you find another one, and another, and where do you stop?

ADP's and rubber seals? I have never seen both fitted at one. It's always been a one-or-the-other affair.

Oli.

8. Steve B Forum Junkie

yes some audi and porche handles from the same era will fit, but then again they are exactly the same ;)

there are some porche ones with porche written on them tht just look wicked on a mk2 but there pretty rare.