Mk3 Scorpion Problems after changing Flat Battery - Help

Discussion in 'Security' started by Mikey, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Mikey Forum Member

Hello
    Im currently having problems with what I believe is a Scorpion alarm that’s fitted to my fathers 97 Mk3 Golf GTI.
    Hes been ill for a few weeks so the cars been standing. Yesterday mum noticed that the car was making a faint siren sound & it transpired that the main car battery was flat. The battery was removed to charge fully overnight, but when I re-installed the battery tonight the car alarm siren sounds immediately & the indicator lights flash.
    Pressing the remote button does not dissarm the alarm. Ive turned off the siren with the correct key that’s on the siren itself, but again the alarm arms when I try to start the car or open the door (Indicators flash for 30 secs)
    Initially I thought that the battery inside the siren had drained & just needed topping up its charge off the car battery, but even after leaving it for 4 hours the fob wont open the car
    I did notice that even with the cars battery disconnected the seemed to be a faint crackling noise coming from the siren area on the bulkhead in the engine bay
    I have 2 key fobs (& both have a small red led that lights up when the LHS button is pressed). Ive tried to dissarm with both but have no joy. Batteries in the fobs are new
    Im unsure of the model no - Ive enclosed some photos that may help you to determine? Possibly Scorpion 918??
    Ive photographed what I think is the main brain behind the glove box [there is also an additional smaller box fixed to the bulkhead that seems to have one wire running from it (would this be the total closure module for the windows?)]
    Ive also shown the key fobs
    As it is the car is immobilised & unusable. Is there any advice you could give me please

(Ill post photos up later)

Ive emailed Electro Systems & hoping they can help me

2. Chrisrpal Events Team

After time those alarms go faulty. A lot of those alarms are wired to MK3 VR6's and most just rip out the alarms are put better ones in or at least bypassing the immobiliser.

Looking on the net seems a very common problem with MK3 golf's.

Something I picked up on the net for removing the alram as a common problem, see below:

disconnect the unit or the supply inline fuse, if its has the additional immo box as well as the standard 918 then that fuse needs popping out as well

inline fuses will be behind the main relay carrier osf kick panel and control unit behind the glove box

i used to fit these years ago and that should reset it as it locked out

the immo cut is the starter wire or red/black or ignition 15 black or black and yellow

the fuel cut (if it has the black box) is the fuel pump relay circuit yellow and blue

all from memory i add

if its goosed cut out the starter cut and rejoin the original loom and if additional black box fitted cut out the fuel pump cut and re join also the a5 may also need the same

scorpion 5000 or was it 500 was the 918 plus additional black box, three disable starter,fuel pump and 15 supply/ x relief

I still fit scorpion or should i say cobra stuff so if your stuck let me know

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  3. Mikey Forum Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heres a few pics I managed to take

The last pic is another slightly smaller box thats still on the bulkhead - any idea of what this is

You can also see 3 fuses in a holder - are these the 3 you mention (theyre just under the glovebox here)

I havent had a look around the fusebox or steering column area yet

Can you determine the model no from the images? (Theres a Volvo part no on the main unit!)

Thanks for your help!

4. Chrisrpal Events Team

Has your alarm got this printed on it 998 VAG 144?

First try resetting it, I found this on the net: User manual book says connect battery with ignition on - then switch off and hold left button on remote fob for 10 seconds.

Yes those look like the fuses but not 100% with out hand tracing the wires. My dad had one of those alarms on his volvo but we bypassed the alarm as it would always give problems.

5. Mikey Forum Member

Hi
    Theres no VAG number on it just a Volvo part no which can be seen here
    [​IMG]

Thanks Ill try that
    Im ringing Scorpion this afternoon after work

Cheers for the help & no doubt Ill be asking more questions!

6. Jagermeister

Jagermeister Forum Member

I had exactly same dealer fit alarm in my 8 valve & my old E class, the fact that your dads one is a Volvo one tells you that it has been replaced.

Afraid its very likely the alarm is dead.

If you bin the alarm you should still have the factory immobaliser, only annoyance is you will now have to lock the car with the key -however the central locking will not work until you put a peice of wire between the 2 green wires on the alarm loom.

BTW I dont think you will get much help from the current scorpion company
    -your alarm was from the previous company before they went broke...

7. Mikey Forum Member

Spoke to tony the tech manager @ electrosystems the current Scorpion company & hes declared the alarm scrap. Hes helped me bypass the alarm so the car now starts fine. As it is the box is still fitted but by cutting some of its wires, & reconnecting a couple of the car loom wires at the fusebox side Ive managed to bypass the alarm & the Scorpion immobiliser (which is the smaller box fitted to bulkhead, mentioned above)

Car starts & runs fine, & the central locking works ok too off the key

I think he did say that the car should still lock using the remote, but this doesnt work. Should it??

Cheers for the advice!!

8. Mikey Forum Member

Did you rip yours out completely, or just reconnect the original cut wires of the car loom?

9. Jagermeister

Jagermeister Forum Member

Thats great that the new Scorpion people helped you out:thumbup:

I have just taken my control box out, the loom I left un-molested with a jumper between the green wires for the key central locking to work.

10. Mikey Forum Member

Just to update Ive now fitted a remote central opening kit from Right Click & wired it up so that the car now opens & closes via remote, so dads happy!
    Ive also added an additional relay so that the total closure operates off remote too, so if he locks the car with the windows & sunroof open, then these too will close off the remote

All in all looks like a decent quality kit for less than 30 posted