mk3 seats in mk2

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by neil kaye, Feb 6, 2009.

1. neil kaye Forum Junkie

can this be done as a straight swap,got chance of some nice mk3 seats and want to put them in the mk2,front and back,not sure what year the mk3 is but its a dragon green gti 8v,3 door ,not sure if the colour will give the year of the car away or not
    cheers
    neil
    edit just done a search and it looks like i need to give more info
    the mk2 is a 1988 model and the mk3 im pretty sure there standard and not recaros

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  2. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

i think you need 1990 seats for this to work you can then swop the backs over
    and then swop over the covers and foum to the base

3. MUSHY 16V

the rear seat will bot on at the front but backs need work to fit much the same as corrado rear seats
    or you can swop the covers over

4. pigbladder Forum Addict

best bet is cut and reweld the rear legs on the front seats , that way the base tilt lever and side trims remain all working

rear bench base bolts on...the rear back rest needs longer pins at the side and idealy some brackets fixing in the center and near the arches , although some leave the backrest to flap around

5. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I'm going to get a set 'cut n shut' soon, it off a mate but i'll ask how much he would normally charge to do it.

6. MUSHY 16V

i did the cut and shut with the mk3 recaro's i got
    i think if you are good with a grinder and welder
    go with this as it will be a lot easier

7. neil kaye Forum Junkie

ok thanks guys
    so if doing the cut and weld method is that the only part you need to convert for the fronts
    is it the tunnel side or sill side you need to convert
    how long is the peice you need to weld in

if i do the foam swap method i need the later spec subframes
    what is the difference,anyone got a pic,,i know a really good welder/fabricator but hell probs need either pics or dimentions to work with

rear seat pins,,can i take the ones off the mk3 ,i take t these pins are where the back rest locks in at the top
    should be able to work the rest out

thanks all for the help and sorry for all the questions

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  8. MUSHY 16V

no it is the outer or sill side leg that needs cut and welded
    you will need a bit of pipe to go from legs new possition to the front rail
    or the compleat leg from another seat
    have a look at this photo from another thread

this is the passenger side seat

[​IMG]
    photo from 1990

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  9. MUSHY 16V

this is finished result

[​IMG]

10. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

:lol: That pic is actually 1990s but yeh that`s how you do it.
    I added a section of tube to support it but any decent welder will do this easily.
    My seats....
    [​IMG]

HTH

11. MUSHY 16V

12. neil kaye Forum Junkie

luckily i do know a very good welder and should be able to work on that pic in post 8 thanks ,im getting the seats monday hopefully so will go from there,thanks again for the help and pics everyone

13. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

This is the back seat just sat in place. I left it like that in my old car and it never fell over and passed its mot easily.

[​IMG]

There is a bracket in a mk3 thats held in with 4 allen keys, it fixes the 2 piece of the upright together at the bottom. I'd grab one of those bracets from the scrappy and get your mate to tack it to your floor.

14. neil kaye Forum Junkie

1990 those seats are the same as the ones i got but no headrests in the back and slightly different sub frames on the front to the above pic in post 8,i can see where it needs welding now should be fairly straight forward now
    i can see the back seat clamp your on a bout too,with the four alen key bolts,also should be fairly straight forward

so im left with the questions,if i put the longer pins in at the top (rear seats)will the seat be at the right height to hook over

also how do you anchor the rears at the back ends,they had like a bracket and a hook on the mk3,is this really needed,,if there important ill get a peice welded in and put jubilees over them or something

also are the bolt holes in the same place for the front brackets of the lower back seats

15. pigbladder Forum Addict

theyre the right height to clip onto the pin...but some cars the shelf supoort hits the seat before it can clip on

either chop the mk3 side brackets and have them welded to the car...or leave the seat loose , depends if you use the back seat much i guess

16. neil kaye Forum Junkie

yea il have to di it prooperly my son sits in the back,if the top pins hit the side shelves ill chop them down a bit id rather have the seat clipped in propperly,i think itl be sufficiant to weld the middle bracket and leave the outer ones(or jubilee clip them)

another question is can you buy the foam,the drivers side one is starting to go ,(there all in bits now) and noticed this starting to wear,i also need a cable for the seat to tilt,so people can get in the back,i should imagine these are easy to find

17. pigbladder Forum Addict

the backrest will still flap about unless the side brackets are welded (assuming its a 60/40)

i had one in mine...got rid because it flaped around and i wasnt happy welding bits on

18. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

I managed to fit my ones without welding anything.They are secure when closed but not so on opened as corners at wheel arch need the plate welded in place ,which you can buy from dealers btw.
    Its called a "bearing" but really it`s just a wee bit of shaped metal hook like.
    HTH

[​IMG]

19. MUSHY 16V

my plan for the rear seat's was to get a mk2 40/60 seat and swop the cover over on to
    the mk2 base
    then bolt mk3 backs to the mk2 base
    some spacers are needed as mk3 backs are narrower 5 to 10mm at this point

20. neil kaye Forum Junkie

yes its a 60/40 and i think ill be getting the 'bearings' then thats a bonus,how much are these and do the sell the middle one,dependant on price i may even be a cheapskate and go back to the scrappy and grind the two off and the middle one,no worries on the welding side my mates dad"the welder" is ex army he knows his stuff
    iv swapped the foam boulsters over theyre the same so no need to buy new,going to do the bases tomorow and i fixed the cable too,,too impatiant :lol:
    dare say i will have other questions soon
    thanks for your help so far chaps