MK3 starting problems.

Discussion in 'Say 'hello' in here.' started by SuavePanda, Jun 6, 2015.

Tags:
  1. SuavePanda New Member

I just replaced my starter, my alternator and battery are good. But it just won't turn on. Replaced my spark plugs and wire set with some ngk's. But people are saying it's the safety switch in the clutch. Idk where that would be located at. Someone help me out please and thanks.

2. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

Faulty ignition switch ..duff starter/main relay ? [:[]

3. Dougie Paid Member Paid Member

Hi,

If the starter motor won't operate, it's possible to 'hot-wire' the solenoid (which puts the starter motor pinion in mesh with the flywheel, then switches on the motor).

First, make sure the transmission is in neutral. Then disconnect the solenoid wiring (the thinner Red-black cable) from its terminal. Using a length of suitable thickness wire, connect the solenoid terminal on the motor to battery positive. The solenoid and motor should operate, but unless the ignition is On the engine won't actually start. If this works, the starter is alright, but not receiving its 'command' from the starter switch.

I see you're in the United States; I think manual-transmission cars for this market often have the starter command routed through a safety switch operated by the clutch pedal, so that it's not generally possible to start the car with a gear engaged.

Looking at the mk.3 pedal box, the brake and clutch pedals each have provision for two pedal-operated switches. In the U.K., the brake lamp switch uses the lower mounting point; the clutch pedals' corresponding point would seem the obvious place for a starter safety switch.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015