MK3 stereo upgrade

Discussion in 'ICE' started by mirabellious, Apr 14, 2010.

1. mirabellious New Member

Hi I'm completely new to this so hope you can help. Endless searches on google have made me lose the plot a bit.

Its a MK3 2 door golf.

I have worked out what grommets crossover, tweeters, components, where to put subs, amps etc. I know a crossover can go in the door or under the dash but the dash bits confusing me.

Can someone tell me do I need to remove the dash in any way to get teh wiring from the battery to stereo and to the speakers/ amps/ subs please?

if not where do you put the wiring? And if so what part of the dash do I need to remove? Is it easy? Also in the door the wiring goes through like a plastic panel each wire for a hole, do I need to remove this? I tried yesterday and couldn't do it.

I have found out the wiring goes under the sill to the back of the car.... not sure on that yet though.

I have temporarily fitted the components in the door and have got the rest to do.

2. Stewy

Stewy Paid Member Paid Member

Passenger side under glove box few screws pull back carpet..For amp to battery
    you should also remove the panel that the trim is connected to see if the blocks are all connected for the door speakers and dashboard tweeters....
    if you get really stuck let us know and i will upload pics as i have mine apart as just installing new system myself...

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  3. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

You shouldn't need power for the steareo it will already be there. The gromment to get int the car to power the amp can be fed into the car via the grommet on the passenger side under the expansion tank. To get wires in into the doors, you may have to drill the plastic to get it through, but be careful.

4. mirabellious New Member

thanks.

Found the grommet last night (why can't it be called a whole with rubber bung) anyway. I think I hopefully will have conquered it once I get the dash off. I'll look for screws tonight thanks. Pics welcome thanks :)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  5. mirabellious New Member

progress, wish I'd taken pics I'm that proud of the little bit I've done. Got the power cable in place, got the rca's kind of in place. I want to get them under the drivers side kick plate and I'll need to get this off anyway to get the speaker wires through to the door. Can anyone tell me how to remove the drivers side kick plate so that I can get to those cables.

I need to remove the handle for the bonnet. How do I do this? Do I need to do this to get the kick plate off? Or is it a simple undscrew and turn so its lop sided and out of shape?

6. mirabellious New Member

Sorry one last thing....I hope.

I have run my pwoer cable along passenger side, will the speaker wire get interference if I run it parallel with it? I have a feeling it will and if thats the case I don't know where to put this power cable. Can someone advise me on this please?

7. Stewy

Stewy Paid Member Paid Member

Normally it doesn,t only interfers with the RCAs

8. mirabellious New Member

cool thanks. I'm just going to go for the trial and error now.

Just read about the big 3 but like I say try it if I get dimming, big 3 it is.

So exciting :)

9. mirabellious New Member

right tonight's the night. Can't believe I've not done this yet and its been a month. I have the RCA's and power cable, and front speakers in just nothing else.

Speaker wire tonight. Are you sure the power cable doesn't interfere with the speaker wire. I just can't work out if it does how people get the power cable and speaker cables not running alongside each other.

My power is on battery side how am I suppose to get the speaker cables to the speakers without going near that power cable if it does interfere. Some sites say it does others don't so a human answer would be super duper please :)

10. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

As Twisted said, running speaker wires along side your amp power cable should be fine, it`s only the RCAs that can be affected.

On mine I`ve run the amp power cable down the passenger side, and the RCAs down the driver`s side.

Amp cable runs alongside the factory speaker wiring for the passenger side with no issues at all, and I wouldn`t have a problem running uprated speaker wire along the same route.

11. mirabellious New Member

ok cool thanks. I just keep reading scarey things about interference and it being my first one and all and I like things to be perfect you see :) [:D]

12. mirabellious New Member

I have a plug thing in the door hole. Where the door wiring goes from door to car there is a connector? Its white with lots of holes in each wire goes into each hole in the back is a black plug thing, (like the thing you put in the back of a stereo).

How do I get non factory speakers through this?
    Do I need to put one speaker wire one side and then match it the other side or do I remove this white connector altogether, if so how?

13. mirabellious New Member

drilled a hole in the plug thing.

nEXT THING... It's all in and working well just about.

What does it mean if the protection lights on your amps keep flickering on and off with the amp flicking on and off in turn? Is this dodgy remote wire? Dodgy power wire, not enough power? [:^(]

Ever grateful for any advice

14. mirabellious New Member

Ok I have unscrewed the amps from the car and tried them, tried removing the rca's and the speaker wire and still protection light, what else can I try? If the old speaker wires are dangling in the car and touching something would this cause a problem?

15. mirabellious New Member

next update

Running the Monster amp only to run the sub only in bridged mode:
    The sub runs fine with key in ignition, if I turn the key to start the engine the stereo restarts but the amp goes into protection. Starting the car with the stereo off and then switching the stereo on after results in the amp working fine. Maybe a power surge problem?

16. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Where are you earthing the amp?