mk3 subframe and beam into mk2

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by peter_bfc, Nov 28, 2010.

1. peter_bfc New Member

hi ive got a mk3 16v and want to build a mk2 track car. i was wondering if the subframe and rear beam from my mk3 would bolt straight on to a mk2 shell??? the i dear is to basically just re shell my mk3 in to a mk2 shell so hopfull not costing too much, or is it just wishfull thinking?

2. nealey Forum Junkie

It will bolt up as rip_mk3 on here has done it to his track car. Will be worth a read of his thread as iirc he has problems with the rear brake pressure as the mk3 beam doesnt have a brake compensator like the mk2 so you will have to replumb the brakelines

3. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

The one lying around in my unit has one?

Or do you mean it's different? The MK2 one is mounted to the car as opposed to the beam?

4. benthejettaman Forum Member

nealey is almost right with what he says, if you have an early mk3 with the earlier style abs then these do have the compensator on the rear beam so you dont get any problems with the rear brakes locking up

5. turbotommy Forum Member

Non ABS mk3's have the valve & ABS cars do not.
    You could always fit a bias valve with it being a track car.(reccomended)

6. peter_bfc New Member

kl that great guy thanks now just need to find a passat to drive daily and a mk2 shell :)

7. benthejettaman Forum Member

my vr6 had a brake compensator and abs (94 obd1) so did the 8v gti i broke

8. LregG

LregG Paid Member Paid Member

Check out my link under my Sig as everything on my Mk2 was taken from my early mk3.....including the fuse box and wiring looms!!!

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

as above both fitm, and early mk3s with abs will have the compensator, later ones will not. the front subframe has different engine mount on it, so will have to use mk3 mounts. mk2 subby will need mk2 mount and mk2 bracket swapped to mk3 engine. mk3 is widetrack too dont forget, so make sure you have enough room under the arches

if mk2 is a gti then no need to swap the beam, if you want 5 stud just change the rear discs for mk3 gti ones. fit the mk3 rear calipers too as they're better. if it isnt a gti then it is worth swapping, cos you then get the rear arb. although you could just fit an aftermarket arb to get the same effect

10. Willber Forum Member

I have a MK3 1996 ABF, is it worth swapping the beam onto my MK2? I will use the rear calipers though if they are better as my MK2 ones will now have seized. Are they the same size?

11. rubjonny

read my reply ;)

12. Willber Forum Member

Are the Mk3 calipers as good as MK4? Or the same?

13. rubjonny

same in terms of handbrake mech if its the later ones without the external spring. only real advantage is mk4s are lighter! of course they'll also be newer, but you need to spend extra on the conversion hoses.

oh and apparently the handbrake mech is a bit stronger, but this isnt a problem on a light car such as the mk2. mine has never ended up somewhere else from where I have parked it, even on a hill :lol:

14. Willber Forum Member

Good point re conversion hoses. Are the MK3/MK4 biggest advantage not seizing up as much? Both my MK2 and MK3 are stored on axle stands with handbrake on full whack!

15. rubjonny

aye thats why you upgrade em. the piston size is the same on the post 87 mk2 as it is on the mk3 and mk4, so no advantage there. just the mech is redesigned so it doesn't seize up so much

16. Willber Forum Member

Hmmm, not sure I fancy taking the Mk3 ones off in the snow, I might be lazy and buy some MK3 or MK4 ones off eBay. Is it just the MK4 which require conversion hoses?

17. rubjonny

mk3 bolt right on, mk4 need conversion hoses :)