Mk3 Supercharged ABF Track Taxi.....2012... a new beginning :-)

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by AS-TECHNiK, Dec 16, 2008.

1. 82erGTI Forum Member

Cool project, good read too...

Just might have to steal your brake duct idea :p , looks like an excellent design...

2. 12valver Forum Member

If you do decide to make them, can you PM me as will definitely take a set but don't always get a chance to check on here when at work.

Glad the thread was helping out. I haven't updated it for a while [:$] Things will be happening in the New Year though so will do it then.

Will be looking forward to seeing the updates on this thread!

3. AS-TECHNiK Forum Member

Hi guys, got a group buy feeler going for the brake duct carriers, HERE

:thumbup:

4. AS-TECHNiK Forum Member

312 time.......Part 1

ok, with time pressing on we are desperate to get the taxi beast back on its wheels. Its just about time to fit the Big TT brakes.

Since the last update, dampers now assembled and refitted. Subframe now painted and refitted.

[​IMG]

Damper rebuit

[​IMG]

Bushes installed

Making the brake lines
    parts:

After the rounding the brake hose bolts......you know, those ones exposed to all the water grime and grit that the wheel can possibly throw at it!!! I decided that the easiest thing to do was to replace all of the hose from the ABS unit directly to the wheels. I have always found that it is far easier to replace the copper hose with braided.

• Goodrich 3/8 stainless braided brake hose
    • 20 degree extended neck banjo (to accept 10mm banjo bolt)
    • Banjo bolt M10 x 1.5
    • Two M10 x 1mm female swivel concave seat
    • Two M10 x 1mm Male/male Bulkhead fittings (not shown)
    • 10mm copper washers

[​IMG]

Unlike the standard 280 calipers the TT units use a banjo setup to secure the hose to the caliper. I cant see why vw/audi decided to do this (if anyone knows let me know), its just anoying!

[​IMG]

Hose assembled, I decided to use a 90 deg swivel on one end rather than the straight as pictured above just to neaten the installation at the ABS end.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One Hose installed.

Part 2 to come.....

5. AS-TECHNiK Forum Member

312 time……PT2

It was news to me that fitting up those callipers would cause me some grief. Had I spent more time reading I'm sure I would have found the clue that the TT calliper carriers do not sit the calliper centre on the disk!![:$] For those of you who (like me) didn't know this, this is what I mean:

[​IMG]

After some measurement I drew up a spacer and tracked down some longer bolts (required due to the aditional spacer thickness).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spacers Made

BOLT SIZE M12 X 1.5 40mm long

[​IMG]

Parts ready to go on

[​IMG]

DONE!!

The car is finally ready to be dropped back onto its wheels. WOHOOOOOO! Chasis front end complete!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  6. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i never knew about the need for a spacer. i cant see the pics but ill look when i get home.

maybe the tt hub has a different off set or something.

312mm is pretty severe!

7. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

Great thread very informative. Nice work.

8. AS-TECHNiK Forum Member

Thanks mate.

I thought id try to be helpful here and there to anyone who may be doing something similar.....you know, Share the wealth n all. :)

9. jamiehol Forum Member

The Mk4/TT/A3 hubs and discs have a different offset compared to the mk3 288mm stuff.

10. eatonmk2 Forum Member

Nice work so far T, hope to have your stuff ready for you very soon;)

11. AS-TECHNiK Forum Member

cheers bro! Will pop past tomorrow to see how you are getting on:)

12. Admin Guest

Do they? the Mk3 280mm hubs do but AFAIK the 288mm hubs are the same offset as the Mk4 288mm hubs.

13. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

I`ll keep checking this thread to watch how it progresses.

Looking good so far, thanks for sharing stuff like thread sizes, its always handy to have them flagged up when searching :thumbup:

14. eatonmk2 Forum Member

Here's does pics you've been waiting of T. It's all ready go to mate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Looking good bro.

16. dave_dub86 Forum Member

m45 eaton?

17. eatonmk2 Forum Member

M62:thumbup:

18. Mr Lp New Member

top work there guys, keep the updates coming

19. AS-TECHNiK Forum Member

Fuel and Intake system Development

Okay time for some more interesting stuff. Chassis development is fun n all but Im an engine man!! Many thanks eatonmk2 for posting up the pics. Also, many thanks to those who have supported and shown interest in this thread, if you keep reading ill keep postin!!:thumbup:

Knowing the bracket was almost finished inspired me to start working on engine stuff. I decided to do some work on the intake and fuel system.

Intake system

[​IMG]

I am a fan of using a shortened Audi S2 manifold for 16v turbo/supercharged applications due to the supreme ease of fitment and the fact that the manifold is effectively designed to be used on this engine (be it with an additional cylinder) due to the similarities of the S2 head to the 16v head. After shortening the manifold, I cut and welded on a flange to enable me to fit the standard ABF throttle. I may adjust this at a later stage to hold a standard G60 throttle body should I not be able to come up with a suitable throttle bypass to use with the ABF throttle body.

[​IMG]

Fuel system

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, there is no simple way of re using the standard ABF fuel rail (shown above) with the S2 manifold and in addition, the injectors wont have enough capacity to support this engine with the additional breathing.
    There are many options for fuel rails .... Shortened S2, 20vt etc etc....BORING!!!! As I am also a big fan of making life very difficult for myself! I decided to MAKE a fuel rail. To be honest, I prefer making them as it gives me a lot of flexibility regarding hoses and regulators.

Ok here goes.....

System Overview:

[​IMG]

For the fuel rail I use 1 foot of extruded aluminium section. The Bored hole is ready to be tapped with NPTF to accept a virety of widely available fittings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tools required to make the rail
    • NPTF Tap
    • 13.5mm drill bit
    • 6mm drill bit
    • A massive drill bit!!!!

[​IMG]

These drills are to enable me to replicate this type of injector insert as shown in the picture above. (I know, i know..... i should have just used that rail!!![:$] )

[​IMG]

I first started by tapping either end of the Aluminum

[​IMG]

NPTF to Dash 6 fitting. I simply blanked the other size with a NPTF BLANK

[​IMG]

Mounted the rail onto me mill and started by drilling the 6mm smallest holes. These holes allow the fuel to pass to the injector

HOLE SPACING 88mm

[​IMG]

Then the 13.5mm ones. These provide the injector o-ring seal.

[​IMG]

Then the massive bit used for the chamfer. This helps to squeeze the o-ring on the top of the injector as it is being pushed into the 13.5mm hole.

[​IMG]

Basically DONE short of some mounting brackets which ill do later. I think ill split this update in two!!

20. AS-TECHNiK Forum Member

Fuel and Intake system Development Part 2

Amongst the few new purchases was an adjustable fuel pressure regulator (FPR) to add to the DIY fuel rail. This will allow me to accurately set the fuel pressure to that of my choosing. The particular regulator purchased enables me to use dash 6 fittings. Problem is I need to figure out where to mount it.

[​IMG]

A key theme of this project as highlighted from the start is reuse. I decided that I would try to find an existing bracket to mount my FPR and staring me in the face was the soon to be redundant Canister Purge valve

[​IMG]

The FPR came with a flat metal mounting bracket which I incorporated into the Canister purge bracket

[​IMG]

I simply bent up the bracket and welded it to the old Canister Purge bracket, then did some more trimming

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Luckily I found that I could cut the existing fuel hose and it accepted Dash 6 fittings without modification :thumbup:

[​IMG]

Trial fit of FPR on Bracket

[​IMG]

Final fuel hose added, manifold trial fitted to engine

[​IMG]

Rail trial fitted to manifold.

I am aware I have skipped the whole engine back in thing, but promise will cover that in a later update. Currently most of these things I am simply trial fitting before stripping them all off again so that they can be painted......by The BIG C.....Its about time i got him back to do some work!!!!!