MK3 tailgate release

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by TomD, Nov 5, 2003.

1. TomD New Member

I was wondering if the UK Mk3 Golfs come with an electric tailgate release. If not, I was curious if anyone has fitted one, and if so the details.

Thanks very much,
    Tom

2. Phil

Phil Forum Member

No they didn't. I have a feeling that some of the decent Vento's did. :)

Where you from Tom? :p

3. TomD New Member

I'm from the US (Pennsylvania). Our US cars originally had the tailgate release solenoid, but I have fitted a UK/European tailgate (makes the car look closer to the Mk2 which was always my favorite :-)

The US mechanism won't work (at least as is) because the lock mechanism is in a different place and the linkage to release the tailgate is totally different.

I suspect that people might have fitted an aftermarket solenoid to do this, I'm just not sure where a good place to mount it is and how to attach it to the release mechanism.

Thanks!
    Tom
    98 GTI (VR6)

4. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

Stud (see Security forum) fitted one for me at the same time as my alarm for ** (pm me). I think the solenoid kits retail for 25-30. It fits in with the rear wiper assembly in the tailgate. It's pretty tricky to get in the right location unless you've done it before but I'm sure a talented amateur could sort it.

My one's wired up to the Clifford so I can open it with the remote. I also installed a Mk3 Cabby roof button (thanks again to Stud for the idea) for internal operation (you can just about see the button here). Both are wired so they only work with the ignition off.

Edited by: mr.brown

5. TomD New Member

Thanks - the cabrio button is pretty cool looking! The US cars actually have a tailgate release button inside the small console behind the emergency brake. But the cabrio button definitely looks better.

Tom

6. Studweiser Forum Member

Guess where the cabrio roof switch idea came from. ;)

7. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

What? I don't think you read the post properly. ;)

8. matt Forum Member

i've got one on mine uses f**d solenoid on the mech hardest part is getting electric to it. [:x] happy fishing

9. Studweiser Forum Member

Whoops, sorry Sean, removing foot from mouth now>