mk3 tdi into a mk2 . ? anyone done one

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by golfgtioz., Apr 11, 2008.

1. golfgtioz. Forum Member

hi folks just about to start fitting a 1.9tdi engine from a mk3 golf into my mk2 .. does anyone know of any good websites with a step by step guide , just something i can use as reference along the way .. i know the 1.9tdi mk3 engine is not the best as far as power goes ect , i would love a mk4 conversion but this suits my needs and pocket much better ..

ive done a number of searches for previous post and found snippets of information but i could do with a little more comprehensive guide if possible .. many thanks in advance ..

or if youve fitted said engine to a mk2 any tips would be great ..

my first problem is trying to rework the pedal box so i can use the tdi fly by wire system .

Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  2. 87 UMN

87 UMN Forum Member

best bet to rip the mk2 stuff out and replace the whole of it with mk3.....do you have to use the flyby? or use the box out of the mk2 so its less hassle?

3. golfgtioz. Forum Member

hi.. thanks for the response but the fly by wire is connected to the accelerator pedal ... its also using the hydraulic clutch but thats not really going to be a big problem as long as i can find a corrado or passat pedal box .. its the fly by wire for the ecu thats got me . not a good start to a new conversion ..

4. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

the whole mk 3 set up swaps over into the mk 2 with almost 0 mods, mk 3's run off the cable to the pump?

I've put mk 4 TDI into mk2 without much hassle, hardest bit fitting passat pedal box & fitting the master cylinder- well documented on here, nothing more than a drill and a hammer

5. alexHxC Forum Member

wont it rattle to **** tho putting a tdi in a mk2?

6. golfgtioz. Forum Member

thats exactly what i thought but it looks like the tdi uses both a cable for the pump and throttle position sensor attached to the accelerator pedal for the electorics side of things .. plus a few other bit n bobs like a cut off switch on the clutch pedal to make gear changing smoother ?.. ive tried the full mk3 pedal box in the mk2 but the pedals sit about 12" off of the floor .. might end up just extending the mk3 pedals down to suit i think , so i can use the mk3 pedal box , a job for the weekend ..

7. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

pedal box goes in as a passat complete item, with no hydraulics attached/master cylinders the pedal go straight to top (too high)

the switch is to smooth out the gear change- no fun on a track car!

8. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

They did make a Mk2 GTD you know, as well as lots of Mk1 diesels - and the new TDI engines are a hell of a lot smoother running.