Mk3 VR6 rear beam, what handbrake cables?

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by MNZ, Jan 10, 2010.

1. MNZ

MNZ Forum Member

Hello guys,

I am doing a MK2 VR6 conversion and I have fitted all the MK3 running gear. The MK2 started life as a 1.3 with rear drums, I have tried to fit the MK3 handbrake cables but they are too short.

Can anyone tell me what ones I need?

Cheers,
    Barry.

2. Supercharged Forum Member

Late MK2 GTI

3. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

P.S where can you buy them and how much? need some myself ta

4. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Thought GSF sold them.

5. Supercharged Forum Member

10 each from VW

6. MNZ

MNZ Forum Member

Are we sure it is late MK2 ones I need? I would have to ship them in from UK to New Zealand so have to be sure.

I read last night that early MK2's pulled cables from in front of handbrake where later pulled from behind like the MK3.....

Barry

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

fit whatever handbrake cables are original GTI fitment for the age of your car. pre-87, buy pre-87 GTI mk2 cables, post 87, fit post-87 GTI mk2 cables.

if you have a pre-87 car you'll probably have to swap the rear calipers over so they are fitted upside down, before the cables reach properly. This means to bleed em you have to pop the calipers off the carriers and hang em the right way up, but not a big deal

edit: early MK2 calipers pull from the top, late MK2 and MK3 pull from underneath. but the reason for the difference in length is down to the handbrake lever as you say, rather than the calipers. early pull from the front, late from behind :)

edit2: if you can get a late mk2/mk3 handbrake lever you could try to mount it, then you should be able to use the MK3 cables. You would have to grind off the old bracket and either weld on a later bracket, or just fit a pair of studs to the tunnel.

early:
    [​IMG]

late:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  8. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

i bought some recently from VW they were more than a tenner! about 20 quid each from what i remember