Mk3 VR6 wheel/offset - help please!

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by Andy_T4, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Andy_T4 Forum Member

Just like to start by stating the fact that I am completely dumb when it comes to anything mechanical & not too hot when it comes to anything remotely practical, either! [:$]

I have a '97 P reg Mk3 VR6 with standard brakes. It came fitted with 7.5x16 ET35 Mille Miglia Evo's. A couple of weeks ago, a mate put new front pads on for me. Once they were on, the wheels snagged and would no longer turn. Went down to Halfords & got some 3mm spacers and now it's fine. Presumably the previous owner bought the wheels once the pads were worn, so didn't have a problem.

The question(s)then....

1) Is ET35 correct for my car?
    2) My mate says the 3mm spacers make it ET38 - SmartCar in Nottingham say they make it ET32. Who is right?

Any help/info/links greatly appreciated! :)

2. MrBen Forum Junkie

I can't remember what is the standard offset, but by spacing the wheel out you have reduced the offset (the mounting face is now closer to the centre of the wheel), so ET32 is what you now have.
    Edited by: MrBen

3. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

Vr6's are ET43.

With yours having the later 288mm brakes, it's not unusual to encounter wheel fitment issues.

Leave the old pad in on the outside until the new inner pad wears a bit, then replace the outer pad with the new one.

Or jut get rid of the wheels and buy ones that fit!

4. AndrewF Forum Addict

thast really weird! [:s] 16" shouldn't catch the calipers with any vr6 brakes. sure the brakes haven't been changed for somethin a bit perculiar?

it's a '97 so it should have 288mm.

o.e. vr6 wheels are et43. my vr came with et35 15" wheels when i bought it, no catching - not even close. and i've tried these wheel over 288mm brakes (i have 280mm).

if you added 3mm spacers, the offset would effectivaly be et32. (the higher the offset, the closer into the car the wheel is).

5. Andy_T4 Forum Member

LOL! I'm trying to do just that, but I really don't know what to buy for the best. I would like 17's, but most of the 17's I like are 8 inches wide. Given the current height of my car I don't reckon I'll get them under without catching, and I don't know anywhere local I can trust to get the arches done. I really don't want it any higher than it is now. I wish places kept wheels in stock so you could try some on - I have to order and pay for wheels before I can find out if they fit the damned car or not!!

Thanks for the help guys [:D]

6. AndrewF Forum Addict

wouldn't go for 17"s on a vr...it'll drive awful. and lets face is your car is a performance car...so keep it that way!

7. Andy_T4 Forum Member

I'll go for 17's in the same width & lower profile tyres to maintain the same rolling radius, so it won't change anything.

As it happens, I've decided to hang on to the current 16's until the summer. I get a bonus every 6 months, and it was this half year's bonus I was using to buy the wheels. Now I've found it to be such a difficult choice, I've decided instead to use the bonus for;

A private plate,
    Replacing the exhaust between the centre box & the tailpipe,
    A 2 bar grill instead of the Kamei one,
    De-wipering, de-locking & de-badging the tailgate.
    Swapping the armorguard plates & black plastic Golf rear handles for colour-coded Polo rear handles.

I'll worry about wheels again at the end of June!
    Edited by: Andy_T4

8. AndrewF Forum Addict

it'll still change the way the car feels. dunno the technical reason's behind this, but the car will feel more sluggish. it'll also be less progressive on the limit.

9. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

It makes the already horrifically long gearing even longer....not good.

10. six appeal Forum Member

I also had the same problem with trying to fit 16" wheels on my VR with 288mm discs, luckily I managed to try them before I bought them! So sticking with my 8x17's for now. ;)

11. binliner Forum Member

so do 17s make it slower?

12. AndrewF Forum Addict

yep.

15"s are best for performance, but 16"s aren't a bad compromise.

13. binliner Forum Member

my car came with the 17s on but although have to admit to
    liking the look of them, I dont like the way they feel... when I get
    new rims they'll be 16"

14. carelegance New Member

The VW golf vr6 is a 5x100 et35 however the offset can be manipulate by changing the width of the wheel

a spacer or shim will reduce the offset not increase it.

Howecer 3mm is negligible simply going for a 7x17 instead of a 7.5x17 will be suffice to rectify the problem

15. AndrewF Forum Addict

no, the golf vr6 is actually et43

16. carelegance New Member

sorry hit wrong button on keyboard meant to type et45
    which is the norm on aftermarket wheels which tend to be within tolerance and most ten to be made on either 45 or 42 offset. However on the VR6 you can get away with a 35/38et by using a 7" wheel.

sorry for the keying error