MK3 weight stripping

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by azur, Jan 30, 2009.

1. azur Forum Member

I was bored, and wondered what my spare wheel weighed... 14 kg. had one puncture in 6 years of driving and i am not going more than 12 miles from home at the mo... so its now in the shed

then realised i didnt need the jack either.... 2.5 kg... in the shed it goes.

Then realised i havnt used the boot for ages so out goes the thick carpet and few other bits and bobs.. 2.5 kg...bosh... in the shed

Then i remember that i weighed my supersprint exhaust system before i put it on... 7 kg saving over standard.

So 26 kg saving... which does the same for my power/weight ratio as adding 4 bhp to the engine...technically.

Sods law decrees that tommorrow i will get a puncture though :)

Mind you.. i probably could have saved more than that if i had brought a 3 Door in the first place :lol:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

ive not had a spare in mine since forever. ive done 10ks of miles and its all good in the hood

ive not come up with anything in particular that would make a good easy weight saving on this car thuogh

3. GRINGOG60 Forum Member

You do realise the both of you have more or less guaranted your self punctures now.

That was silly.

4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i have a puncture repair cut and compressed CO2 conisters

5. azur Forum Member

im a lucky ******* so need nothing... :lol:

6. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

the space saver weighs a ton!!!! I took out the space saver, rear carpets and trim, rear bench.

And my car then lifted both wheels off the ground from one jacking point. suprising