Mk3 Wet Floor rear drivers side

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by apw99, Feb 4, 2014.

Tags:
  1. apw99 New Member

Hi folks,
    I have a wet floor constantly at the drivers side rear. The door seals all look fine. Has anyone any ideas where I should start?
    Thanks
    APW

2. 8valvenut Paid Member Paid Member

I would take the door cards off and have a look at the plastic membranes, if work has been done in the past on the inside of the doors chances are the membranes are buggered and letting water in, I did mine back end of last year, best thing I ever did as every time it rained I had an inch or two of water sat in my car and all the windows would steam up because of it, right PITA, got it sorted though :) p.s. if you have a sun roof check the drain holes in the corners the one in my pass side A pillar was blocked

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  3. apw99 New Member

many thanks 8valvenut. DId you use a genuine VW part to replace the membranes or did you make something up? How did you seal the plastic to the door frame?
    Many thanks again!
    APW

4. 8valvenut Paid Member Paid Member

there was a company on ebay that was selling full sets for mk3 mk4 golf etc but cant find them anymore, however i was given a huge sheet of visqueen plastic from a guy at work which was ideal the kinda stuff heavy duty bin liner/rubble bags are made of, i drew a pencil mark round the door card while it was still in situ then removed it. i simply did a bit of measuring and fiddling and cutting to get the shape right and i used heavy duty duct tape to stick it down if you do it this way make sure you tuck the bottom inside the door for water to run off and out the drain holes in the bottom of the door, its fiddly but if you take your time it works well, mine was a nice tight tidy job when i was finished and never had a problem since, wish i took pics when i did it now [:s]

5. apw99 New Member

Good. advice, many thanks. I will give that a go.
    Cheers
    APW

6. H8V

h8v Forum Member

A cartridge of Stixall works very well to glue the sheet. www.toolstation.com item number 77137 works very well. Screwfix do the same stuff I think.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Adh...hesive+Sealant+290ml+Clear/d180/sd3199/p77137

If you use clear or translucent polythene sheet you can see through it to make sure there is a good seal all the way round.

Leave the door card off for a few days to check that it all works.

Edit: Oh, and while you are getting the cartridge of adhesive, why not get a 3 metre by 4 metre pack of heavy duty clear polythene sheet?

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Han...thene+Sheet+Heavy+Duty+Gauge/d10/sd430/p25592

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014