MK4 2.0 8V Throttle bodies. Help needed, pics inside!

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by karl-GTI, Mar 5, 2011.

1. karl-GTI New Member

hi, im new to golfs and this is my first one. Bought on a bit of a whim to be honest. Always liked them and got offered this for next to nothing. Its a MK4 with the 2.0 litre 8 valve engine. If id have done my research before I would have stayed away and gone for a 1.8 20v Turbo, but now iv got it im keen to turn it into a bit of a project and do something diffrent as nobody seems to want to have a go at doing much with these engines. Im no mechanic and a total novice when it comes to throttle bodies. Iv done a bit of research and not come across much, expecialy with them on this particular engine. Its been to a local garage to be checked over and the mechanic there said he wasnt even prepeared to tackle it.
    Problems are that the car is still running a standard ecu, which im told is impossible to run the bodies correctly. The car idles high and runs lumpy 90% of the time. Iv had a look around them and everything seems to have been "bodged" together.
    Basicaly wondering what work needs to be done to get this running right, and also has anyone done it before? What sort of power gains can be expected etc?
    Iv put some pics below of the bodies. Any help is very much apreciated. Thanks, Karl

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After removing the cracked airbox that was cable tied on, I found this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I'd recommend you resize your photos to 640 x 480 as the page takes an age to load and you will be short on responses :thumbup:

3. karl-GTI New Member

I cant edit the post, Iv resized them and reuploaded them but cant edit my post

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

It's all done in the photo account - no need to edit post, as they filter through, provided you kept the same filename.

So far it seems the same here.

5. karl-GTI New Member

Photos resized!

6. karl-GTI New Member

Also not sure what make they are, but the airbox was a pipercross one. Thanks

7. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

You would be better off putting it back to standard. Unless you want to get an ecu thats capable of running it.

8. karl-GTI New Member

I dont mind getting an ecu, im just after info on what i need and what needs to be done and getting to know a rough cost of all my options before i decide what to do with her

9. danster Forum Addict

They look like GSXR throttle bodies. They have had their injector holes plug with what looks like metal putty.
    It is not the tidiest conversion out there. [:s]

10. karl-GTI New Member

Certainly not a tidy conversion. TBH its been half arsed put together by the look of it. Looks as though everything needed apart from the ECU is already there though? COrrect me if im wrong as im really new to this and still havent got much of a clue. How easy would it be to tidy up and what work is still involved before this is even close to being a proper conversion? Thanks

11. mark25 Forum Junkie

Normally the ECU corrects the idle speed by adjusting the motorised throttle, which is removed from your car. High tick-over could also be due to a vacuum leak after the throttle butterflies.

It looks like you have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator feeding the vacuum connection of the standard fuel pressure regulator[:s] maybe the guts have been removed from the std one...

12. karl-GTI New Member

I have an adjuster for the idle speed in the bay somewere, nothing fancy just a white knob connected to a wire, i asume the throttle cable? Not sure about the fuel pressure reg at all. Like I said, no mechanic and very little knowledge on the bodies. Is there anywere reputable and very good with bodies that I could take it to or send some pics to to get a rough idea what needs doing? Or even a particular member on here whos done this conversion to the same engine as mine? Thanks

13. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Dont' think thats been done on a mk4 anyway. Its not the sort of thing worth doing really. Surpised if it could get through an MOT like that.

14. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I am lost for words...

15. karl-GTI New Member

haha not looking good then? Best route from here then? Odviously remove the whole throttle body system. Worth taking it all of the engine or just replace with another? If so whats a fairly easy conersion and whats the best engine options available? Everywere I look people seem to be saying 1.8 20v turbo but how much work exactly is involved? Just the engine to swap or mounts gearboxs etc? Any help again apreciated, thanks

16. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

:lol: that's unusual.

17. danster Forum Addict

The trouble with new cars is they have to pass stricter emission tests, so chucking cams and carbs on them is not really an option.
    Also building a car you can buy, eg 20vt in a mk4 is not ideal really either, as you will be paying an excess for a modified vehicle and all the hassle that entails.

I have seen the modified OEM ECUs used before on modified Rover K series engines with Lumenition ITBs, but these were pukka race cars and emissions and low speed drive ability were not really that important.

18. Admin Guest

Dito but I love the use of a door hing to hold the back plate in place and the extravigant use of chemical metal... :lol:

I would imagine you have air leaks around some of the joins which will not help, make sure the jubilee clips are sealing the silcone hose on correctly, balance the bodies and I would tidy up that wiring as it looks like it could easily short...

In all honesty I would remove the whole setup, looking at the workmanship that has gone into it, it will give you nothing but hassle. [xx(][xx(]

19. karl-GTI New Member

Think thats going to be the plan tbh. Shame really but I dont fancy taking on that much hassle, especialy with something I know so little about. How hard would it be to convert back to standard? What sort of cost would I be likely to see if I took it to a garage to be returned to standard and are the bodies and manifold worth a great deal when removed? Cheers

20. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Your best (possibly not the cheapest) option is to get a MK2, put it in there with proper wiring and then ask Toyotec very nicely to map it on standalone so that you can go really fast.