MK4 256mm rear brake conversion, missing piece?

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Peter, Feb 24, 2024.

1. Peter Forum Member

Hi

I am looking to upgrade the rear callipers on my 2001 GTI to vented 256mm, I have purchased a set of callipers and carriers from a Leon Cupra R which I believe are a direct fit to my FWD Golf

The callipers I received are pictured below

[​IMG]

They do not have the black piece highlighted below in this picture I found on the internet (the callipers in the picture are i believe off a 4WD TT) from what I can see the brake hose screws into this piece

[​IMG]

Question is is this piece unique to the 4WD or will i need to source them in order to fit the callipers to my car ?

Thanks

Pete

2. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Hi Pete
    I fitted leon cupra r rears on my polo ages ago, I don't remember the black bit, plus I bought a new set of calipers from ebay and again I don't remember having it.
    The hose just bolted straight in via banjo Union.

Admittedly it was a while ago, but thought it just needed caliper, carrier, hose and cable.

Could it be to hold abs wire on the 4x4 set up or something? I've not really looked at the 4wd tt stuff, only the 2wd that I got a quickshift from.
    4wd had different caliper to the lcr I think, offset is not the same, but may be carrier.

Attached Files:

Peter likes this.
  3. dodgy

Silver is 4wd tt, red leon cupra r, green Octavia vrs (2wd) all robbed off ebay.
    Looks like fwd cars don't have that bit Screenshot_20240224-203212_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20240224-203253_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20240224-203449_eBay.jpg

Peter likes this.
  4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

comes as part of the brake line:
    1J0611763L.jpg

interesting though, potentially you could use this piece to adapt other banjo hose fitting caliper to std MK1/2/3/etc hose fitting. the shape of it looks a bit awkward though

Peter likes this.
  5. dodgy

2001 passat rear hose is ideal to fit earlier cars, used it on my mk2 caddy with polo gti rear calipers, it's about 5 or 6 inches long with the banjo one end and a female m10 standard fitting the other. I'll see if can find one...

6. dodgy

7. rubjonny

yeah I know about those (and many others, I've been compiling a list for quite some time :lol:) main one is the front hoses, there arent any that are a great match length wise they're all a little on the long side

dodgy likes this.
  8. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Worst case you can build your own lines (AN-3) with any fitting you want.

I did my car fully in AN-3 braided Teflon, not bad to work with when you get the hang of it.

Peter likes this.
  9. Peter Forum Member

thanks for the help gents, picture below of the calliper on the car for ref

[​IMG]

I reused the hose which was there just with a new banjo bolt and 2 copper washers, the off side seems to be holding ok whereas this nearside one is leaking quite severely, I tried swapping to another new banjo, then tried the old one and the leak still persists, I had washer union, washer then the bolt through all 3. the mating surface is clean (had the callipers vapour blasted) and free of any paint

i did rebuild the callipers myself so i wonder if something inside could be incorrect and the pressure is findings is way out of the weakest point? they went together smoothly and the pistons appeared to move freely when I used the handbrake mech while they were on the bench

10. rubjonny

Nothing obvious on the caliper or hose like a burr or small crack is there?

Peter likes this.
  11. Peter Forum Member

There was nothing obvious that I could see when I collected them from the blasters they looked in good order (pic below of the section in question)

[​IMG]

I bought them off a breaker so I have no idea if they were in full working order,

I did mask them as best i could but looking at the picture below there is appears to be some overspray I think that is on the edge rather than the mating face, even so the crush washer would seat the union slightly off the surface?

[​IMG]

One thing to mention is we struggled to get the calliper to move the pads on this nearside calliper, even when the pedal was fully pressed the disc could be turned by hand easily, it was all a bit of a rush but I'm pretty sure the handbrake was working correctly and stopping both discs although the lever was a touch high

12. rubjonny

yeah that looks ok, what about on the banjo hose faces?

Peter likes this.
  13. Peter Forum Member

I didn't look at them too closely, I gave them a wipe-over with some brake cleaner and refitted them, the banjos went through with no resistance and the flat end piece of the hose fitted snugly in the calliper recess with no force required, I've never had any issues with this hose when it was used on the previous calliper

14. Peter Forum Member

the lack of stopping power concerned me, even with a leak I'd expect some resistance between pads and disc?