MK4 4 door seats in mk2 3 door?

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by neil kaye, Apr 23, 2014.

1. neil kaye Forum Junkie

can this be done , the rears i can fit but unsure how to make the fronts flip over so you can get in the back, anyone done this

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

you might find the internals are not able to be converted to 3 door, see if you can find any lock hooks or similar around the base where it needs to pivot. for example pre-90 mk2 seats can have cables fitted but on 90spec the hooks are not there on 5 door seats are instead bolted straight down on 1 side

3. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

I dont think its worth the effort IMO

4. neil kaye Forum Junkie

this is what i fear john but ill check them out
    notenoughtime, deffo worth the effort as im only paying 35 for full set :thumbup:

5. neil kaye Forum Junkie

just had a thought , i have mk 3 seats fitted in my mk2 so already converted so maybe the mk4 bolsters will fit on the mk3 subframes?

6. rubjonny

i doubt it the seats are pretty different, if they're the deluxe spec the bottom fame may unbolt which might then weld to the mk4 seats once all the slider gubbins is chopped off

7. neil kaye Forum Junkie

ill just have to have a good look at them when i get them and see what i can do

8. neil kaye Forum Junkie

Got the seats now theyre in fairly good condition just need a really good clean and im going to paint the bases
    so here is the seat down and tilted, as you can see ive just taken the back bolts out ,there will be some plastics to cut too but wanna get this sorted 1st
    any ideas, or anyone got a pic of the 3 door tilt mech i can look at

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. rubjonny

pretty sure you wont be able to convert those unfortunatly, maybe some fecked seats from scrappy to strip for the frames?

10. neil kaye Forum Junkie

Hmmm maybe but not till i ive had a good go lol, to be fair theres only me and my son go in the car so dont really need to convert them but its for just that time i may give a lift or take my friends or other family in that i have to bring the safety issue into account, im in no rush to fit them and got them cheap enough so will have a butchers round the scrappers and have a think on a conversion idea

11. rubjonny

maybe get some lock pins thru the holes, remove when needed :lol:

12. neil kaye Forum Junkie

was thinking of that, got some mk2 lock pins from OEM set up, theyre a bit too fat but could turn them down a bit, question is if i do this would it be strong enough on one side or would it be better to do both sides, thinking of being able to tilt seat quickly if needed thats all, are there any issues with the seat if i were to make an emergency stop or is that the seat belts job, being a bit tarty but want to get some good advice :)

13. rubjonny

i wouldnt do just the 1 side, good point about emergencies! maybe fab up some spring loaded bar with pins both sides... tbh id just get some 3 door donors and strip. main thing is get the right type to match as loads of variations from what i can see in the etka

14. neil kaye Forum Junkie

ill look for a P/N on back rest see if you can cross reference to the ones i need?
    other than that i could take to my mate who welds and hes clever at making things, he may have an idea
    cross fingers :)

15. neil kaye Forum Junkie

got a part number for the frame , is there any pics on etka of the latches at the bottom, the frames look universal as it has the tilt pull arm holes at both sides on the top of the frame
    1J4 881 045 FL
    [​IMG]

16. rubjonny

ok 1J4881045FL comes back as 'adjustable lumbar support', PR-3L3 (manual height adjust) ,7P0 (without lumbar support), 7P4 (manual lumbar support), replaced with 1J4881045HH. looks like 2dr version is 1J3881045MF, PR-3H9 (backrest release for easy entry), 3L3, 7P4.

the tilt handle and lock parts are not listed separately I'm afraid, only the cables and misc small parts are

17. neil kaye Forum Junkie

right o cheers for the info John, just googled the part number and found a picture so may be able to use that asa reference, it comes up on Jim Ellis vw parts so shal try give them a ring and have a chat , thanks

18. neil kaye Forum Junkie

19. rubjonny

yeah same base seat used all over, leon, toledo, octavia, passat and beetle. only beetle and golf 3 door tho!