MK4 calipers handbrake cable adjustment

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Mk2Singh, Feb 4, 2024.

1. Mk2Singh Forum Member

Hi guys

I have a MK4 calipers setup on the rear of the Mk2. I was taking up the slack on the handbrake lever end and I had to screw the nuts all the way to the end of the cable ends to take up the slack on the cable. Is this correct for this setup or do I need to adjust something else so I still have some adjustment left on the cable ends? Attached photo of the cable ends

Attached Files:

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Mk2Singh likes this.
  3. Mk2Singh Forum Member

Thanks! so Could I possibly achieve the same by releasing the handbrake and loosening the adjustment nuts then pump the brake pedal a few times to close up the pads to the disc and then take up the slack on the handbrake lever end from the adjustment nuts?

4. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Did you pump the brakes properly before trying to adjust the handbrake?.

The rear calipers self adjust.

My adjuster nuts are about half way down the threaded part of the cable (Mk2 with Mk4 rear calipers).

5. Mk2Singh Forum Member

It's been awhile when I fitted the setup so can't exactly remember. I think I installed everything and tighten everything up and then the car wasn't used for awhile so probably not.

So if I was to back off the adjuster nuts, pump the brake pedal and then do up the slack in the adjuster nuts then all should be good?

6. Tristan

yeah , it's the same principle with any of those type calipers, the "spring-back" is what gives the poor handbrake. but to remove it, you need to let the piston push out more and spring back, to where the pad is just touching . And to let that happen the caliper needs to be off the disc.

7. Mk2Singh Forum Member

Ah okay so the idea is to set it so once the handbrake cam on the caliper springs back the piston is touching the pad? I was hoping to be able to do it without having to disassemble at the wheels lol.

8. Tristan

In my experience you won't get a good handbrake without doing it the way I did in the video.

Mk2Singh likes this.
  9. Mk2Singh Forum Member

Yea I think I will end up doing that now, Appreciate the help :)

10. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Mine worked fine with calipers on the car, blead the brakes and then set the handbrake Cables.