MK4 Engine Problems

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by Pat-GTI, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Pat-GTI New Member

Hi all i am new to this forum and the following question i am about to ask might have been already answered, but this forum is so big i do not no where to start looking first.

My Missus has a MK3 golf Cabriolet and the engine has died. It was a normal 89BHP 1.8, but she has been driving a while now but does not want a new car.
    I purchased a MK4 golf 1.8t 20v off a friend, the body has been badly damaged but he reckons the engine is running fine with a little smoke. I have had a mechanic look at the car today and has told me the car will never run right as i have a AUM head sitting on a AGU block. There is a connector on the side of the head which my mechanic tells me the car i have has no connector on the loom for this.

I have spoken to my friend and he reckons if i buy the loom the engine will run fine, my question to you is, how true is this?

2. Reg93 New Member

The connector on the side of the head will be the VVT chain tensioner at a guess.

AGU loom will not have a connector for the VVT as it never came with it.

Has everything been swapped over from the AUM head? Or did he put AGU stuff on the AUM head? AUM is small port whereas the AGU is large port.
    There should no problem swapping the heads, just port and VVT differences.

What are the problems with the engine?

3. Reg93 New Member

The connector on the side of the head will be the VVT chain tensioner at a guess.

AGU loom will not have a connector for the VVT as it never came with it.

Has everything been swapped over from the AUM head? Or did he put AGU stuff on the AUM head? AUM is small port whereas the AGU is large port.
    There should no problem swapping the heads, just port and VVT differences.

You could buy the AUM loom, ECU etc to utilise the VVT if you wanted.

4. Pat-GTI New Member

Hi Reg93, thank you for your reply. I will give you as much as i know regarding the engine. My friend bought the car this way and reckons he had it running but it was smoking and he told me this was due to the oil cooler going, which i have a brand new one he gave me to fit. But my mechanic told me the car will not run and if it does it will not be 100% due to it being a AUM head sitting on a AGU block. My friend has supplied new coils and other services bits, but reckons if i buy a loom, everything will work perfect.

As far as i know nothing has been changed except for the head, everything in the car is AGU.

5. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

It will run but obviously you will have some issues you could remove the vvt part and bolt the AGU parts on instead you then wouldn't need to bother with wiring and ecu etc

The only big issue is the large port inlet manifold onto the small port head!

6. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

7. Pat-GTI New Member

OK this is a good start for me and gives me some information to show my mechanic, what could be the issues with the ports? It has been a long time since i have asked a mechanic to take on work like this, so I just want to make sure the outcome is down to me and not my mechanic as he is doing the conversion into my MK3 as a favour, the actual running of the engine will be my problem, and i do not my getting hands on with it as long as i know what i am doing.