mk4 golf abs light

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by maz5431, Nov 6, 2006.

1. maz5431 New Member

hi, i have just bought a mk4 golf gti 1.8t on a 1999 plate off my mate. he knocked me som e money off as the abs light was on. he had some camber adjusters on it but when he took them off he pulled a wire ot of the abs sensor. this has been reconnected and tested. both sides give the same voltage reading and both sensors give the same resistance but still got abs light on. it does go off occasionally but comes straight back on. please can anyone shed some light!!!!!

2. Seraph Banned

welcome first of all.

Was the error ever cleared from the ecu?

3. maz5431 New Member

no mate i thought that might need doing as i had ecu problems with the girlfriends astra and i was told that stored faults that needed resetting

4. maz5431 New Member

hi, i have spoken to company called jbs in chesterfield who said the abs light should reset itself after some miles, is this true or do the error codes need clearing from the ecu.

5. Seraph Banned

Sounds quite plausible, and jbs certainly know their onions.
    I should take what they say as gospel, although once a error is logged, it generally stays in the ecu. After all, thats the whole point!

6. maz5431 New Member

yea i thought that mate, i know jbs know there stuff they have put a big turbo and done loads of engine work on the car i have just bought. i was driving it this afternoon and the light went off for about 10 mins and just came back on, wasnt even on the brakes, its strange

7. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

connectors not fully on, is my bet will do the same fault

8. maz5431 New Member

what do you mean by the connectors mate, the plugs that go onto the abs sensors are connected properly

9. maz5431 New Member

hi again, this abs light is starting to get on my t*ts now. it goes off when you drive it after it has just been started, and only seems to come back on when you go up a hill. does this sound like a dodgy sensor to any one?

10. VDubChap Forum Member

Just get someone to plug it into the diagnostic computer and see what it logs. Youll probably find that the fault code is present and if, like you say, everything is properly connected then the fault can be reset and you should be laughing.

11. maz5431 New Member

booked in at jbs this weekend for cam belt and water pump so have asked them to have a look while its in. thanks for the reply