MK4 Golf Heater Matrix

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by G60Dub, Sep 16, 2017.

1. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Think my heater matrix is on its' way out as windows seem to regularly fog up with some horrid greasy film that is a pain to remove; no smell of coolant as of yet but guess it will be a matter of time before it goes pop all over the passenger footwell! lol

As such I want to get the jump on this and replace the matrix before it pops. I had a look through ETKA today and there appear to be two Matrix types - one for Climatronic and one for manual AC. However everything non-dealer I look at only differentiates between standard bayonet fittings and the quick release type so other than selecting the respective type for my car is there anything else I need to look out for?
    EDIT: Had another look at ETKA and ELSA today and it seems that what I wrote above is incorrect as I was half cut on the initial sitting - There are two types of matrix with one being for ECU controlled engine cooling by way of (I assume) an electrically controlled thermostat for engine code BAD whatever that pertains to so question safely answered there then! lol

Oh and finally where can I pick up a reputable Matrix as I don't feel particularly willing to pay the dealer 196 for a tiny radiator nor want to have to go to the hassle of pulling out half the vehicle to replace the replacement some months down the line.
    EDIT: Seems that from what I've read over the last 24 hours is that Nissens heat exchangers get a good rep and they do one for the MK4 so going to order one of those and then work out what other seals/gaskets I require. The car is in the bodyshop at the moment having some corrective work and a tidy up so I have a week or two to get bits and bobs ordered and fully up to speed on whats required.

Thinking this would likely be a good time to split the heater box and remove/repair the likely rotting foam on the diverter flaps so what sundries am I likely to require? I assume some sort of adhesive aluminum tape but what about sealing between the vent sections and say the dash vent to dash seal?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

think you sorted it all out yourself, only thign I've got to add is there are early and late versions of the MK4 matrix, early is the same one as used in a mk2/3 golf plus a fair few others with normal push fit hoses, late has quick release fittings :)

3. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

:thumbup: Thanks John. Car is in the bodyshop at the mo so trying to get ahead a little and I've asked them to take a pic so I can confirm but almost 100% sure I have the later type as I'm sure I've eyeballed them in the past as I seem to remember that it wasn't immediately apparent how to separate them. lol

4. rubjonny

I'd be worried if you couldnt work out a hose clamp :lol: so yeah prob the late type. all you do is pop a screwdriver in a slot where the clip is and lever it a bit, then they release. even if you have an early car its no probl;em, just grab a couple of the mating connectors from scrappy or dealer then you can convert it to late spec matrix. my mk2 is also late mk4 spec :lol:

5. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Thanks John

Okay so as far as other supporting parts I recon I will need:
    Foam Bulkhead seal 1H0819019
    Top Gasket 321819017
    and assuming I'll need replacement O-Rings for the QD couplings? Cant find these but a few sites online seem to suggest a 29.1mm OD x 3.5mm CS?

Is a new gasket needed between the junction of the hot (Matrix) and cold sides (AC) of the heater box where the two halves are held together by the metal clips?

6. rubjonny

with 1H0819019 usually the old one is ok, or you can flip it the other way and that gets you another 20 years life :lol: its only 4+VAT so if already in the dealer ordering stuff may as well have it. 321819017 for the matrix to housing is sometimes included with a new matrix, as is 1H0819019 is for the one that goes all the way round the outside of it

A roll of draft excluder will do the last one well enough if you have some.

the quick release seals usually reuse ok, there is no part number I can find for them but if you can find some that work its useful to know :)

edit: sorry missed the last bit, theres no gasket between the 2 box halves :)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  7. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Alan,
    Darren of VW Enterpise on our group page, has had actual experience of carrying out that task on customer vehicles that have come into his workshop, in addition he is one of these talented folk who have fitted that dash, fully functional to an older vehicle.

I can point him to this thread or you can send him a note.

8. vwenterprise New Member