MK4 GT Tdi losses power

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by Paul_TDi, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Paul_TDi Forum Member

I'ved just bought a mk4 golf gt tdi ('01) it's the 115bhp model with 6spd gear box.

being a new car and me being a young driver I felt it compulsory to do some excessive speeds along the motor way....

so crusing along at around 90 for a while all is fine, everything sounds gd, feels great. Then all of a sudden I just loose power and car won't go past 85mph with absolutly no acceleration. stick me foot down and I can feel there's no power!

restart the engine and all 115 horsies have returned.

since then I'ved changed driving style and Im a slower driver now although with the odd acceleration between gaps...

is this normal or is there something wrong?

2. Paul_TDi Forum Member

wow isn't the search button a superb thing!

from litle reading i'ved just done sounds like i have a leak and it's upsetting the boaster???

3. oak8vgti Forum Member

yeah sounds like there is a boost fault somewhere in the system, you need to get it checked on vag.com or a dealer 5051

4. JettaTDi

JettaTDi Forum Member

Believe it or not, mines did this, couldn't understand why. Since I've put in a ITG panel filter the faults disappeared.

5. Seraph Banned

prob a coincedence - unlikely a filters remedied your fault! you may have 'undisturbed' something

6. dT MK3 4

dT MK3 4 Forum Member

had the same prob with the 115bhp and if its before the 03 model I got told by JBS that the mass air flow meter is often to blame. Get them to check that out, as once i replaced mine it was back on track and running as it should be.

Hope that helps.

7. Paul_TDi Forum Member

thanks very much for the ideas, soon as i have some dollar behind me again shall get a garage to have a poke around.

8. Paul_TDi Forum Member

Thought I would update this, the fault isn't very consistant.. :S

Normally my journey goes A12, M25, A41 and on the A12 I would normally loose power. Recently I'ved gone A120, M11, M25 then A41. And going this route I can go at my ellivated speeds for long periods without a problem! I think it may be down to the constant speeing up then slowing down of the A12, the A120/M11 is a much better route which is quiter and steady speed most the way.

On that note I found out my heater matrix had a leak and my car has been drinking more fluid than me on a 2 hour trip.

For example last night I went A120, M11, M25 then got the J25 road works and engine management flashes up STOP in big writing, pull over fill it up and off i go! The get off the A41 going through the 60spd limits in the country and have to stop again to fill up! arghhhhh so in a 120 mile 2 hor journey it used 3 litres!

Today the matrix is being changed so I'm half hoping the problem is linked to the leak and all will be sorted after today. If not I'll get the MAF looked at.

9. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

limp mode of some sort.

is it smoking much at all?

feel along the boost pipes. if there is a leak there will be a lot of oil around the pipe

dunter, if your old filter was clogged then there is a chance that the actual boost would be different to the 'expected boost' due to the clogged filter.

mine did the total power loss thing when it had a split boost pipe and also when the egr got clogged and stuck open.

10. Supercharged Forum Member

You need to see what VAGCOM says but the two common failures on these engines are the MAF and the N75 valve

11. Paul_TDi Forum Member

Nope no smoke from what I'ved noticed.

I had a good touchy feely aorund the pipes when it was first suggested and couldn't find anything wrong, was nice and clean.

Once I have money again from this heater matrix I'll get someone to have a proper look if it isn't solved.

Cheers will suggest the N75 valve too when I take it in.

12. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

just changing the n75 is silly.. you have to find out what killed and and fix that prob too. usuall oil and crud from the breather