mk4 gt tdi prob

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by N1CK, Jul 17, 2006.

1. N1CK Forum Junkie

its an s-reg gt tdi 110bhp 119k, on the downchange into second or 1st its very difficult to put into gear, its not the clutch or the gearbox as ive had a gearbox pro look it over, what the hell is the problem with it....its driving me nuts[:x] [8(]

2. Seraph Banned

Hmm, this sounds familiar and experienced it.
    I have been told various things. Some say its the cable adjustment, some say the box oil needs changing.
    Think there was a vag special notice for it in early days. I know some people got a box swap under warranty, but obviously too late for you or I.

3. N1CK Forum Junkie

so should i try fannying about with the cables and the oil or should i look for a new box?

if the box needs replacing to combat it, i think i might as well replace it with a 6 speeder, do they suffer with the same problem?

4. Seraph Banned

if memory recalls, i think theres a specific cable adjustment routine that vag do.
    Spose changing the oil couldnt really hurt for a tenner or so
    Mines 6speed with same prob.
    Maybe Crispy knows some nugget of info on this one.

5. N1CK Forum Junkie

ahh i see, does anyone know the cost of having the cable adjusted? thanks for your help mate, you've saved me from a big headache;)

6. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

someone call???

first second share the same sycro rings, so could be the oil or the adjustment

how many posts on are there on mk 2's having crunchy 2nd gear?? oil change a good way to go

depends what box is in it, if it's the older mk 3 type with the adjustment via a couple 13m at the end of the cable though slotted mounts, it is a case of loosening them and moving the gear lever.
    if it's just 1st & 2nd i'd move it slightly closer to the left and see how that feels

have have no exact measurements to go by[:$]

the later type which I'm certain you won't have is easier!!
    the cables have a self locking adjustment (abit like a cable tie[:|] )
    you need to loosen the black locks on the turn able push, or is it pull
    the cables are then free to move
    there is a lever on the top of the box mech, push weighed rod down and the lever next to it will selector will move upward, and lock mech in place. lift the boot in the car. the gear stick will be free to move around, the mech has a hole on the stick & a hole on the mount (about 4mm)
    put a drill bit or something in, go to the gearbox and lock those back cables up.
    undo the locking pin, the weighted rod will be able to move up and down again, take pin out of the gear lever

all should be great[:^:]

cables have been also know to bind, normal not able to select some gears (all at top / bottom/ left /right)

7. N1CK Forum Junkie

ahhhh thanks alot matey i'll pass this on to the garage, i'll post up how it went [:D]