Mk4 GTi TDI cambelt change - what a palaver!!

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by Hilux, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Hilux Forum Member

Hi chaps,

I`ve an ABF`d Mk1 but I`ve just bought the missus a very tidy Mk4 Golf GTi TDI so I thought I`d crossover into here [:D]

Is it me or isn't replacing the cam belt a right old palaver..................quicker to change the clutch!!

Managed to get a set of Laser petrol/diesel locking tools for 40 (essential in my view) and a Gates belt/idler/tensioner set.

I`ve decided to replace the pump while I'm in there as it such a poxy ordeal.

Is it me or am I moaning needlessly [:s]

2. dubster67 Forum Member

its not you, it is a complete pita. It would be a piece of cake if you could get the damn engine mount out the way, plus all the other crap.

I bought a genuine timing kit and waterpump, which wasn't too pricey with the discount I got, but once I'd finished I wished I had just spent the extra and got it done by VW.

3. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

All 'modern' cars are a pain and by modern I mean less than 15yrs old. My BMW E39 needs a set of new aux belts, took one look and thought F-that its a ridiculous amount of effort for what is a 5min job on any older car. Working on a smiley transit tonight, now thats how every vehicle should be designed, so easy to do anything and everything I just wish ford had understood the concept that metal rusts when not protected properly.

4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

a while back a did a belt on a 1.5dci megane. far easier than a mk4 golf!

5. dubster67 Forum Member

I hope you disinfected your hands afterwards.

6. Mike_H Forum Addict

What engine is the Mk4 TDI? I did the belt on the 1Z Audi 80, and it's a bit of a faff, for sure - glad it's an 8v one!!

7. dubster67 Forum Member

All the Mk4 tdi's are 8v, thats not the problem, its the fact that the engine is so close to the chassis rail, plus there are quite a few ancilliary items(fuel filter,header tank etc) located around the timing belt end, and the biggest PITA is not being able to get the engine mount fully out of the way.

So, the problem is a general lack of access, I'll gladly pay a garage to do it next time on mine.

8. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i had to. the experience made my sick over myself about 4-5 times. there was sick everywhere, but the belt went on well

as for the mk4.... have you done a 1.8t before?

the ******* belt is ONLY just long enough to get on so you have to force it big style. im surprised more done end up being out of time

9. Mike_H Forum Addict

I took the rad out to do the Audi - longitudinal engine install.

10. dubster67 Forum Member

Hahaha, and I bet the cash you got for doing the belt didn't cover your cleaning bill. Just think of the mess there must be in garages all over the country when anyone with a brain works on a french car, its surprising this island hasn't sunk yet. Oh, and did the owners of the car notice the smell or did they think that was normal for a french car?lol

Yep I've done a 1.8T belt, and it was a piece of cake compared to the tdi, had no problems at all.

Mike - I've got a B5 A4 and did a full belt service on it, including waterpump, when I first got it, had to take the front end off the car, headlights, bumper, front panel etc. What a job, but surprisingly easy once I got my head round it. Quite happily tackle that again, the Mk4 TDi, however, can take a flying **** to itself.

11. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i did a mitsubish L200 the other week. two timing belts on that thing

one for the camshaft, one for the balance shafts, which is pretty funky looking

12. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i did the belt on my B5 S4 a few years back (because the stat was bad, the stat is a belt off job!) the belt was huuuuuuuuge

13. dubster67 Forum Member

car/engine designers are just sadists.

14. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

I MUST AGREE!! the Mk4 is so much more hassle than a mk5, and some mk6 TDI lumps you don't have to remove the mount!!

there is a trick I forget too othen on mk4, is the mount will come out thought the bottom of the chassis leg, and of course you all undone the PAS pipe mounted to the block, 1x 10mm & 1 13MM !!

15. dubster67 Forum Member

the engine mount that is bolted to the block in the timing belt area, I couldn't get that sod out no matter what?

16. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

Don't need to take the mount fully out, it's tight but you can pull it back just enough to slide the belt between the mount and block. Agree though, it's a **** of a job

17. dubster67 Forum Member

that's what I did, my knuckles can prove it.

18. scruffydubber Paid Member Paid Member

Yeah that's how I did it too. And move the engine up and down to assist access.

My wife has a TDI beetle, she had a long commute and lots of buisiness miles.
    I've had to do it three times in as many years (two different car's).

It's same as the Mk4, but with less room at the top.

19. corradophil Forum Member

I don't take the mount out either. Totaly stupid design. I don't mind un-bolting the mount, power steering tank etc, but that engine mount being stuck in the way is so annoying. As Matt says, the belt is also slightly too short, or the tensioner does not adjust enough to get the belt on without a lot of swearing.

There is a knack to doing these, and I have done 2 in one day without too much drama, but I have forgotten the tricks to make it easier, so last time took hours.

20. Hilux Forum Member

Phew!!!!!

Thanks chaps, thought it was me.....................I have built a few cars and this is an absolute mare of a job.

You are right the part of the mount that bolts to the engine will not come out and there is a gnats foreskin clearance to slide the belt out.

I reckon VW forgot about maintenance on this one and got away with it. No wonder garages charge 320 - 400.......................still its once evey few years or 60,000 miles so not a regular feat to pull off.

New pump has arrived so heater on in garage and lots of woolies to keep warm tomorrow.

I researched the job on tinternet and thats why I bought the locking tools. Essential for that reason alone.

PS: I am a trusting person so when I`m done with this job if anyone wants to borrow them and happy to pay postage let me know or I`m in North Herts near Hitchin if you want to collect.