mk4 polo 1.4 16v

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by Wez, Dec 12, 2003.

1. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

basically, no flaming from people who know what they're onabout saying things like if i don't know how it works then i shouldn't have it sort of thing.
    what would be the most reliable,efficient way of getting between 150 and 200hp out of the engine without a swap?
    i think most people who read the forums want to learn more, but don't really know where to begin.
    so i use this as an example, so those with the knowledge can share and explain what's the best solution for a problem.
    would i better off getting a turbo as you get more hp for money.
    would a supercharger be more reliable and efficient on the smaller engine?
    or would throttle bodies do the trick?

:p :)

2. madmk4 Forum Member

Turbo charger definatly for out right power.

A certain company did one a little while ago, i think on the standard bottom end it was around 140-10bhp odd.

You'd really need some lower compression pistons after that to.

The kit cost around 2-3k.

The most important thing with a forced induction car is to have a well suited turbo, and a bloody good management system.

To do a proper job or turbo'ing it you'd need:

Turbo :lol:
    Exhaust manifold and gaskets
    New downpipe and gaskets
    Oil feed and return lines
    New injecters most likely (bigger CC)
    Lower compression pistons
    Intercooler

Lots of custom tubing for intercooler to turbo hoses etc etc

Some sort of recirculating dump valve preferably, alough that upto you really.

A stronger, thicker head gasket (which would lower the compression ratio a bit, depending how thicker it is) would be nice

Of course, thats the engine sorted, but are the brakes, clutch and suspention upto it aswell ?
    DEFINATLY new cutch would be good to.

And fiannly, some sort of good engine management. Theres lots out there, Emerald, motec, DTA etc etc, but most are pretty bloody expensive (anywhere upto around 3grand !!) and will never be as good as the standard management from a 20vt for example, weather you could use this or not on the car im not totally sure to be honest. Get over to designa dubs forum and ask right away ! 800g's is the man when it comes to that stuff (and most other things actually)

Thats basicaly it really wez..It might be expensive, but it's still by far the cheapest way of getting the power out of that engine.
    Edited by: madmk4

3. Armour

Armour Forum Junkie

You could stick a rotrex charger on it, seen a few of these on 16V polos. Personally i'd go with throttle bodies, and stick in a mk3 Polo ;)

Alan

4. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

rotrex charger?
    any specific examples?
    anyone on polo forums done it?

5. Armour

Armour Forum Junkie

Rotrex

There used to be some photos of rotrexed valvers on the Club G40 yahoo list, but they seem to have been removed.

Speak to Jabbasport as they are/were a Rotrex dealer!

A far as I know, no one in the UK has one, but that doesn't mean there isn't!

Ask on Performance polo's

Alan
    Edited by: G40 AL

6. Rallye Forum Junkie

Turbo
    JE pistons
    pauter rods
    G60 ems

7. Polo Classic Forum Member

Rothe exhaust manifold (like the one on the Runars (G40turbo's) in the Golf 1,3T tread), K03/K04 turbo with suitable ECU depending on budget, 63,5mm downpipe. race cat, and good flowing exhaust. If you want to go low on boost go for a 1,6l ABU crank and ad cc's.

The guy I bought my huge G40 intercooler from builds a Polo based 1,7L 16v on VGS throttle bodies, fully mappable ECU and turbo. He is aiming for 280 PS. This will really move the Polo I it is going in.