MK4 R32 Changling coolant - any tiips?

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by G60Dub, Oct 23, 2013.

1. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Looking to drop and replace my coolant this weekend and this will be the first time tackling an R32. I've read through the service manual which says to remove the bottom radiator hose and also one from the oil/water heat exchanger - What's access like for the latter?

On looking at photos of the front of the R32 block it looks like the crack pipe is at its lowest position where it enters the pump housing. So in short is there a drain on the crack pipe in this location or am I going to be left with a little fluid in the block and if so, other than re-flushing (to dilute it) is there any other means to remove it?

In short VWs way isn't necessarily the best way as I and many others have discovered over the years so does anyone have any prudent tips?

2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

On a 12v VR6 there is a drain plug on the crack pipe, not sure on a 24v.

You'll never get all the coolant out of the block unless you remove it and tip it upside down.. lol

3. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Aha... So is the drain valve safe enough to use given the crack pipe fragility... I suppose I could flush it then fill it with distilled water then drop it and put in the right amount of.coolant for a 50 50 mix

4. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Good point, they can be fragile, I leant on my VR6 one when doing another job and cracked the bloody thing.

5. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

33 for 3 bottles of G13 ouch!

Well attacked this today with 15 litres of distilled water and 3 bottles of G13.

Not too bad a job apart from putting the SAI pump back on the front of the block - The top bracket Allen bolt is a right pig to get back in.

Drained all the old coolant out then filled her back up to the brim with distilled water and ran her for a couple of minutes and was nothing short of amazed at the colour of the flush that came out- The block must hold a fair bit of coolant. :o

Got the long grain rice into the header tank and went like a maraca for ten minutes and it cleaned up a treat before sticking the new fluid in.

Next on the list...

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  6. Lukey Forum Member

The best way I found to get as much out of the block as possible when I had oil cooler contamination was, after draining as much as possible by way of the bottom rad hose, to set the car on blocks on the nearside so it was like 10" up and take the water pump out, then gravity will do all the work for you.

7. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Ah that sounds like a decent idea. :) Prob do that next time around n change the the pump for good measure