mk4 rear brake conversion advice please guys!

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by jimmy_mack_attack, Jan 22, 2013.

1. jimmy_mack_attack Forum Member

hey, as title states i am looking into changing the poor mk2 8v rear callipers for the mk4 ones, i just don't know the specific details of what mk4 callipers i need or if any one has got any? do my normal mk2 discs and pads fit? do i need to run mk4 hand brake cables? another option i was thinking could i just get hold of a mk4 rear beam with everything already on would this work? (i doubt it thinking about it!)

i've got goodridge brake lines i do know i need to buy the conversion kit for them!

any help, advice would be lovely! :)

2. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

Your discs/pads/Handbrake cables can be used no problem. All Mk4 rear calipers are the same apart from the estate models (They have a 41mm piston instead of 38mm) Best to stick with the more common 38mm.
    Left VW part number: 1J0 615 423 (D OR G on the end of the part number)
    Right VW part number: 1J0 615 424 (D OR F OR H on the end of the part number)

The calipers may need the handbrake mech squeezing up a bit to hold your handbrake cables, but it's simple enough.

I actually wrote an extensive picture/process/part number guide when I fitted them to the Corrado. Brake Conversion Corrado Rear to Mk4 Golf:thumbup:

It's WELL worth doing btw.

Neil.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  3. thegave Forum Member

What's the point over MK3 calipers? Just because they're alloy and don't seize?

4. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

Yep :thumbup: alloy (lighter) and a much better designed mechanism. It's not only the better handbrake but they just give a better, more positive brake feel too (As they don't stick).

I'd recently had new/standard rear calipers on the Corrado and the Mk4 ones feel a lot better.

Neil.

5. Gtinick

Gtinick Paid Member Paid Member

Hi Neil,
    Please can you post your guide as I cant't get to it.

I actually wrote an extensive picture/process/part number guide when I fitted them to the Corrado. Brake Conversion Mk2/Corrado Rear to Mk4 Golf

Thanks
    Nick

6. murph81 Forum Member

7. jimmy_mack_attack Forum Member

thanks neil, looks like i need to find a pair of callipers for sensible money!!

8. rallye1.8t Forum Member

can the estate versions be used? or too much of a pain to fit?

ive got sum from a skoda 4x4 elegance .

the one interesting thing is they have a adapter on to convert the banjo fitting into the normal m10x1 thread, so in theory you could make up just a small copper piece without having to buy the conversion hoses.

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

mk3 also have the improved handbrake mech design. and just becasue mk4 are alloy doesnt mean they dont corrode, because they do ;)

they're also much worse for the bleed nipples siezing in due to caliper being alloy and the nipple being steel. so in short, the only advantage of the mk4 ones is they weigh less :thumbup:

10. swampy Banned

Search 9657adriana

Does the conversion lines for a very good price and very good quality

11. jimmy_mack_attack Forum Member

so rubjonny, you'd personal recommend the mk3 rear callipers? im sure i could get a pair of them easier then the mk4s, just need to be off an 8v right? cheers

12. rubjonny

its what I have and they've done me proud since march 2007. didnt even stick on after car was sat for a year! any mk3 gti, 16v or vr6 will have them just make sure they're the later design without an external handbrake spring, the early ones were the same as mk2. same goes with lots of other vw and seat look for any 93ish onwards model that is higher spec, good chance they'll have the mk3 type calipers

basically whatever comes up first for a good price, mk3 or mk4. just remember to factor in the extra cost of the conversion hoses and make sure the nipples are free before you buy

edit: you'll need mk2 or mk3 carriers not mk4 though, and the condition of them is almost if not more important than the calipers as if the slider area is pitted they'll stick! However on new VW pad sets these days they come with MK4 style slider shims which will fix corroded sliders, with those its only the pins which have to be good

13. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

Apologies, you have to register to see tech guides on Volksdevil (Members only sections) but as this is CGTI...:thumbup: I've copied it below. This is onto a Corrado so please check regards other model part numbers.

A good rear brake upgrade on mk2/Corrado is to use Mk4 golf rear calipers. These calipers don't suffer with the seizing handbrake mechanism like the earlier ones do and they are also considerably lighter being alloy.
    The conversion is pretty straight forward, although there are a couple of thing that you need to consider.

The Mk4 golf calipers use a banjo bolt fitting, so some upgrade/conversion hoses are required (Covered later) and also, depending on which mk4 calipers you get, you may just need to squeeze up the handbrake lever on the caliper so that the nipple on the handbrake cable doesn't pop through.

That's about it really.
    Your standard Corrado brake carriers, brake pads, handbrake cables will all work fine. This is a guide only and brakes should always be worked on by those who are capable, I myself or Volksdevil as an entity take no responsibility for anyone attempting anything shown here.

Tools required
    Jack.
    Axle stands.
    13mm spanner.
    15mm spanner.
    7/16 Brake pipe spanner.
    9/16 or 14mm brake pipe spanner.
    Torque wrench with 13mm socket (Or other as banjo bolt heads differ)
    Vice grips or similar.

Parts required

Mk4 Golf rear calipers:
    Currently available new here.
    Left VW part number: 1J0 615 423 (D OR G on the end of the part number)
    Right VW part number: 1J0 615 424 (D OR F OR H on the end of the part number)

All of the Mk4 calipers are the same, apart from estate models which have a 41mm piston rather than all of the others at 38mm. Best to stick with the more common 38mm pistons, which also mean you can use standard Corrado brake pads.

Standard Corrado rear carriers:
    Left VW part number: 1HO 615 425
    Right VW part number: 1HO 615 425
    Currently available new here.

That's right, your standard Corrado brake carriers will do just fine. If you can get new ones then that's ideal as they come with nice new slider pins etc with no play, but if yours are in good order then they will do.

Rear carrier bolts x4:
    VW part number: NO 139 123
    Ebay search here.

These allen bolts are high tensile (HT) and the spec is: M10X20mm with 1.25 Pitch. I'd actually recommend picking a few up (8,10,12) just for the future as they are a ******* for rounding off. The black colour is not a coating of any sort, it's just a 'blackening' from the heating process to make them high tensile, so they do tend to rust.

Conversion brake hoses with banjo fitting to go from mk2/corrado to Mk4:
    Goodridge part number: SVW0506-2P
    Ebay Goodridge hoses here.
    Or from Swampy on the Corrado forum here, which are what I used here in this guide.

These hoses are required to hook up the Mk4 calipers via a banjo fitting, they are specifically made to run from the corrado hard brake line, to the mk4 caliper. Goodridge supply them with banjo bolts/copper washers. They are not cheap, so if you get them made elswhere you can save money, but you may then need some banjo bolts. No problem, the spec you need is: M12X24mm with 1mm Pitch.

Brake fluid:
    Take your pick from Vw specific stuff or aftermarket stuff, just be sure to get the correct rating etc. Refer to manual.

Optional parts

New Corrado rear wheel bearings x2:
    VW part number: 191 598 625
    Available here.

New Corrado rear brake discs x2:
    VW part number (16v/G60): 357 615 601
    VW part number (16v/G60): 357 615 601B
    Available here.
    Ebay search for both 16v/G60 and Vr6 here.

Handbrake cables x2:
    VW part number: 1H0 609 721A for 89-95 (Up to Chassis 50-S-000361)
    VW part number: 1H0 609 721E for late 95 models (From to Chassis 50-S-000362)
    Available here.
    Ebay search here.

ABS Rings:
    VW part number: 1J0 614 149
    Available here.
    --------------------------------
    So now you've got all the parts, onto the conversion!

1/ Obviously start by loosening the rear wheel bolts, jacking up the car and safely securing it on axle stands.
    2/ Remove the wheels, you can place them under the sills if you like, or just use more axle stands!

3/ Now you need to remove the handbrake cables from the calipers. They are situated at the bottom of the calipers. To do so, start by removing the metal clips which just pull off.
    [​IMG]

4/ To remove the actual cable from the caliper, you need to:
    A: Remove trim around handbrake lever within the car and loosen off the two 10mm nuts (One on each cable)
    B: Alternatively if you like or are already under the car and replacing the cables with NEW ones, squeeze the handbrake mechanism. You can use vice grips or similar. Once you have squeezed the mechanism, the 'pip' on the cable will pull out of the lever pictured. Hang the cable out of the way for now.
    [​IMG]

5/ As you look at the brake caliper, on the reverse are two 13mm headed bolts which secure the caliper to the carrier. One top, one bottom. You need to remove these.
    To do so you need to hold a 15mm headed bolt. Ignore the text 'New conversion hoses for now)
    Once these two 13mm headed bolts are removed, the caliper will pull off.
    [​IMG]

6/ Now you have the handbrake cable removed, and the caliper hanging loose. Take a breather and maybe have a tidy up, make sure you have everything to hand. The next step may cause issues if you do not have brake pipe spanners and/or the nuts are damaged from previous donkeys. So be prepared.
    [​IMG]

7/ The caliper is now only connected via the rubber/flexi brake hose pictured above. This brake hose now needs to be removed.
    To remove it, first clean up the two nuts at either side of the fitting, scrape them with a flat screwdriver, use sandpaper or whatever you can. Test your spanners on them to make sure they sit on properly and snugly. If they don't, keep cleaning them up.
    You need to use brake pipe fitting spanners ideally.
    The flexi hose nut (Larger) is 9/16 or 14mm.
    The hard brake line nut (Smaller) is 7/16.
    [​IMG]

Hold the spanner on the rubber hose end tight/solid, and undo the smaller hard line nut.
    [​IMG]

As the fitting becomes loose, you may be able to hold the caliper and twist it as you undo the fitting. Once removed you are left with the hard line on the car, and a caliper now removed.
    [​IMG]

8/ Good job if you got this far! Ready for the new bits to go on now.
    You need to fit your conversion hoses to the fitting you just undid. Screw the hoses on by hand, and just nip them by hand, not tight yet.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9/ At this point you can replace discs/pads/wheel bearings/abs sensor rings/carriers etc if you like.
    Otherwise, pick up your new mk4 golf caliper and place it over the brake pads/onto the carrier.

Refit the two 13mm headed bolts you removed in step 5 and torque them up. Again using a 15mm spanner to hold the larger nut, and 13mm to tighten.
    The torque settings are actually different on corrado and mk4 as listed below, so somewhere in between is good.
    28Nm / 26 ft.lb - golf
    35Nm / 26 ft.lb - corrado

If you reuse the old bolts, add a little thread lock. Otherwise you need new ones ideally as listed here.

[​IMG]

10/ You can now fit and torque up the banjo bolts pictured bottom right below with a copper washer either side of the hose. Be careful torquing them up as the calipers are alloy!
    Torque to: 35Nm / 26 ft.lb
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11/ Now that the caliper is fitted. You have a banjo bolt that is torqued up, but you left the hard line end only hand tight. Now is the time to nip it up. Again using your brake pipe spanners as in step 7. I'm unsure of any torque setting here, so just get a good 'nip' on them.
    The flexi hose nut (Larger) is 9/16 or 14mm.
    The hard brake line nut (Smaller) is 7/16.

Hold the spanner on the conversion hose end tight/solid, and tighten the smaller hard line nut.
    [​IMG]

12/ Now just double check.
    A/ Caliper is nipped up via the two 13mm headed bolts to between 28Nm/26 ft.lb - golf or 35Nm/26 ft.lb - corrado. :thumb:

B/ Banjo bolt is torqued up to 35Nm / 26 ft.lb with a copper washer either side of the actual hose. :thumb:

C/ The conversion hose is nipped up to the hard line brake pipe on the car. :thumb:

13/ Nearly there!
    Slide handbrake cable into caliper, the 'pip' on the end of the cable may be too small for the actual caliper lever (It's a mk4 caliper dependent thing). If so, carefully squeeze up the lever so that the handbrake cable end doesn't fall through the lever.
    Refit the metal clip you removed earlier.

14/ Pretty much done!
    Remove brake fluid reservoir cap and gently but firmly press the brake pedal until you get some 'feel'.
    You will now need to bleed the brakes.

That's about it for this guide, there are many other things that may need to be done such as winding the caliper pistons in/out depending on whether or not you have new/used calipers etc.
    If you have any questions regards that, or bleeding the brakes etc, please ask in the Technical help section here. :thumbup:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  14. rubjonny

riley: to release the handbrake cable what you have to do is loosen the cable at the handbrake lever end ;)

then you adjust them so there is slight slack with the new discs/pads. if you just squeeze the levers like that they'll probably be out of adjustment even if you reuse the old discs n pads as mk4 caliper isnt exactly the same shape. and if you put new discs and pads on you'll have your rear brakes locked on all the time!

15. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

Aye, must take into account that I actually used new cables hence I just whipped the cables off at the calipers after removing the wheels. ;) My cables were also stuck in the steel channels running into the car [8(] so I tackled that end later.

I do need to adjust the guide though cheers, I got carried away trying to put things I'd done in the right order, but obviously not everybody will be fitting new cables.

16. rubjonny

yeah i had fun with that, pulled em oth off the car with the cables. right mare to get the tubes back in position after as all the carpet has to come up :(

17. Gtinick

Gtinick Paid Member Paid Member

Riley,

Thank you very much.

Nick

18. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

Now adjusted the guide to take into account those not fitting new handbrake cables.:thumbup:

Aye, bit of a bugger when they stick in there, luckily in the Corrado the rear of the carpet splits open enough to do the job.

NP:thumbup: