Mk4 style clutch slave on mk2

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by dodgy, Mar 22, 2022.

1. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

OK,here goes my story.
    Put the 1.8t in my mk2 and converted to a hydro clutch mechanism.
    That uses a transporter master cylinder and a mk3 slave cylinder, all bled fine, but has always had a low pedal bite.
    Even contacted the manufacturer as those are the parts supplied in the kit.
    Put it down to a bent arm as that's the only part I didn't replace gearbox end and several mk4 sites say its down to that, so believed everything i found.
    At a loose end last night I started looking at bore sizes and ratio of throw etc.
    Mk4, transporter, A3 etc use same size bores,
    Mk3 are different, haven't got figures here as at work, but both work out the same (1:1.19 from memory)
    So mixing a transporter master with a larger bore mk3 slave has given less throw, hence pedal point.

So...
    If I fit a mk4 o2j slave to match master bore, what's the easiest thing to do regarding the strange conical connector on the mk4 bit?

@Savagesam this may be why you had odd pedal too?
    All kits seem to mix transporter master and mk3 slave, so never thought it was incorrect.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if you use a mk4 5 speed slave you can use mk4 pipe

dodgy likes this.
  3. dodgy

Cool, will grab one, didn't know ifvthere was a hose with normal one end, and nipple the other, but mk4 hose is easy. Cheers

4. dodgy

And as reference...

Oem specs
    mk3 (02a) vr6 master bore size is 18.62 mm
    mk3 (02a) vr6 slave bore size is 22.22 mm
    mk4 (02j) 1.8t master bore size is 15.9 mm
    mk4 (02j) 1.8t slave bore is ~19 mm.

So I'm running a 15.9 master with 22.22 slave, as most kits do.

5. slimwadey Paid Member Paid Member

I'm Sam's dad and also have an issue with this.
    Mine is a home built hydro clutch and I'm using a T4 Master and what I thought was a T4 slave . But I'm pretty sure it's got 22.2 printed on it .
    Screenshot_20220326-111746.png

I've always assumed I built it wrong and that was why it never worked correctly. Seems not .

To swap to 02j I'd need to modify the slave end as I'm using a copper brake pipe from the master all the way to the slave with an M12 screw fitting on each end .

The mk4 is push in if I remember. Not sure how to convert to M12 without getting a mk4 pipe , chopping the end off and trying to graft on an M12
    Screenshot_20220326-114117.png

6. dodgy

Hello Mr Sam's dad! Yeah, it's the mk3 slave that all kits use, I even questioned about it before as the low pedal made me think something I had done wrong in set up, so put it fown to the arm in box being bent, had even contemplated extending the pushrod on slave end, like used to on A series mini.

Contacted Hel braided lines on Friday as they made my original clutch hose, (my car was auto to begin) and will be sending them a mk4 style connector to match up so can make up a new one with m12 other end for master cylinder.
    Other alternative is modified mk4 or tt one, unsure if 6 speed box had a short pipe that had cone one end and union on other, sold my box couple weeks ago typically!

Epytec sell an adaptor, but it's big money.
    Possible a mk5 has something useful, I'm off to scrapyard next weekend.

I'll let you know what I find out regarding a resolution.
    Definitely points towards the low pedal with the cylinder ratios, but it's what every kit seems to use.

7. dodgy

Just had an idea to check the polo 9n3 outside/garage pile of bits.
    Slave cylinder is same as mk4 5 speed, has the conical fitting and then a solid line with flexi in it, up to another conical connector on the bulkhead out of the master cylinder.
    Although it is a hard steel pipe rather than a copper one, it should be possible to flare a normal union on it to connect up.
    Looks as if the master cylinder side of the flexi the pipe is larger than after, so a choice of sizes.

Will dig deeper tomorrow when got scruffy clothes on rather than a white Sleeper baseball top on. 20220326_174834.jpg 20220326_174843.jpg 20220326_175005.jpg

Mk1 tt has an accumulator in line, normal union one end and cone the other I think.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2022
  8. pigbladder Forum Addict

noticed my original 02a slave is 22mm ...rebuild kits are 22mm all the replacement slaves are 23.8mm

9. dodgy

Got 23.8 as the size for o2a, but didn't look at rebuild kits

10. pigbladder Forum Addict

like i say orig one is stamped and measures 22mm, guess they decided this was for the best but makes me wonder

Last edited: Apr 12, 2022
    dodgy likes this.
  11. dodgy

, s/m gives

Mk3 1.25
    Mk4 1.2
    G60 1.15
    Kit 1.5

, 20-25% different to mk4 or 3 so runs out of fluid before clutch thrown completely.

pigbladder likes this.
  12. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

whats the part number on your orig one with 22mm

13. pigbladder Forum Addict

ive sent mine off for resleeving 022 ? k if i recall