mk4 tdi 110 blowing cold air from heater

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by minty-gti, Feb 13, 2015.

1. minty-gti

minty-gti Forum Member

this has probably been asked before but i cant seem to find anything maybe just me but anyway i have a mk4 golf tdi 110 and it is blowing out cold air when its at proper running temp ( needle sitting at 90 degrees) ive flushed the whole cooling system all seems fine checked the thermostat by putting it in a pan of boiling water, its not pressurising at all so shouldnt be head gasket, so would i be right in guessing it would be the water pump?

2. jasongtr Forum Member

had the same issue on my wifes car (not a VAG) turned out was the water pump, you can see if there is coolant flow going back to the expansion tank, if nothing then most likely is the pump, before you start ripping things apart though, are the heated hoses that go through the bulkhead getting hot? if there are hot to touch once the car has reached 90 then it might be something on the heater box itself.

3. minty-gti

minty-gti Forum Member

no they are cold.

4. jasongtr Forum Member

water pump then, no flow

unless the matrix or pipes have a blockage, take the heater hoses off and put a garden hose in one, if it flows out the other one then the matrix is fine and its 99% the water pump

5. minty-gti

minty-gti Forum Member

done that water went in and came out clear so water pump it is then. cheers for your help.

6. jasongtr Forum Member

no worries, when i was testing mine i could take the heater hoses off whilst the car was running - sure sign it had no flow right there

7. minty-gti

minty-gti Forum Member

oh right. ill get it done then.

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

have a look in the flange on the side of the head, if it has the 3 glowplug things in it thats the coolant pre-heater setup which may have failed. ours has it but its the PD150 with all the toys on it, not sure if the lower spec used it too

9. minty-gti

minty-gti Forum Member

found the culprit was the water pump came out in two parts but now i have no power as if the turbo isnt there also sounds louder then it was/should be checked all the vac hoses all ok crank and cam timing are spot on could it be the fuel pump timing out if so how do i sort it?