Mk5 2.0 FSI Golf - (warning 56k-ers)

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by stella, Aug 31, 2004.

1. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Well, following on from my fun day with the Mk5 2.0 diesel, today I got my hands on the 2.0 FSI. And very nice, too.

Unfortunately, I didnt have the day off work to take it anywhere to get to grips with it, but from driving it around locally, I really liked it.

This one was metallic black, with lots of toys including leather! Again, extremely comfortable seats. Driving-wise, it corners very well and it feels more to my driving style petrol, without the strange flattening out at about 4K revs of the diesel one. Hasnt got the same get away as the diesel, so I imagine the 0-60 time will be not as good, but seems to have plenty of power once youre moving. Of course, it hasnt got the turbo, which probably accounts for it.

It has the same strange unlocking the doors thing that I forgot to mention on the diesel. I think there must be a knack of flicking the key to open the passenger doors that I didnt master. Drivers door opened easily, but not the passenger doors a bit frustrating when youve started the car, then have to turn off the engine to allow your passenger to get in!

It certainly sounds better than the diesel, though the neat little twin pipe box is hidden away under the huge back bumper. This one had no badges to give away what model it was, so I expect it would surprise a few people at traffic lights.

It has some nice touches lights that come on automatically when it gets dark for instance. Big wheels (not sure which ones).

Overall, my son preferred the diesel, but I preferred this one. It looks good in black, whereas the (blue) diesel hasnt got the colour-coded bumper.

Im not sure what engine the GTI will have in it, but if its this one, it should be great with a turbo on it. Hope to get a drive of that one eventually.

Am hoping to persuade him to get one or the other instead of the Leon Cupra, because Ill get it in a couple of years Less bang per buck, perhaps, but lots more class.

I wasnt sure about the Mk5 when I first saw it, but I am now convinced even though my first love will always be the Mk2.

Some pics..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It's beginning to look like our own regional meet on my drive!
    [​IMG]

2. Rob.gti Forum Member

This is the same as the MK4's. Its an "Anti-Hijack" deterent. When opening the car with the remote, one single press will release the Drivers door only - therefore stopping any suspect passers-by jumping in the passenger side when you least expect it! A quick double press of the button will unlock all doors if required.

BTW, there is no need to use the remote to unlock the rest of the doors once inside, there is a button to press, on the drivers door, which releases all door locks :lol:

[​IMG]
    SEE JUST TO THE RIGHT OF THE STEERING WHEEL AND JUST IN FRONT OF THE DOOR RELEASE HANDLE
    Edited by: Rob.gti

3. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Ah - that explains it all, then! ;) I didn't notice the switch. Doh! [:$]

Perhaps you could also explain what this switch is, too? I pressed it and it lit up, but I didn't notice anything happen. A shower and an ejector seat, perhaps? :lol:

[​IMG]

4. hairnet600 Forum Member

arming for inside and out alarm

5. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Eh? You do that before you get out of the car instead of flicking your key at it from outside? And why is the bottom car pointing up hill?

6. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Looks like a button to turn off the ultrasonics for when you lock the dog in the car, and the anti-tilt for when you park on a hill.
    Don't rate the interior on the Mk5 at all - I don't like the Mk2 interior either, but that interior just looks like something from a Kia. Plus the leather is cheap and badly trimmed.....

7. drew Forum Member

I was majorly disappointed with the interior of the mk5 I drove, not as nice as the mk4.

Suspension was better though. Looking forward to the GTI.

Cheers,

Drew.

8. stella

stella Forum Junkie

The interior was the major disappointment - mainly the passenger-side dash. The back is OK - lots of storage cubby holes, cup-holders etc, and the driver side dash and console aren't bad. It's just the acres of grey plastic on the passenger side - very dull and uninspired. Looks like it belongs in a 10 year old car. Not what you'd expect in a 18-19K car, especially as it will probably be competing with cars like the BMW 1 series.

But on the whole, I still think it's a superb car and would happily have one.

9. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

I didn't like the mk5 at all, very tacky interior as the others say :(

10. Torquey Forum Member

I had a 1.6 FSI as a hire car for the weekend and wasn't impressed at all. Was comfy enough etc for the 700 odd miles I done but nothing would make me want to buy one.
    Will still try the GTI when it comes out though. This one opened all the doors with one press of the button aswell. I also managed to lock the front wheels up a couple of times. [:$] [:$] Used to my MK1 brakes [:$] [:$]. I honestly preferred my old Focus.
    Edited by: Torquey

11. jjarvis Forum Junkie

Mk5 interior looks rubbish, like an PV or a trasit van!

Drove a Mk4 the other day, through the interior was great, really liked it.

12. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Right again, TSC :)Asked when took the car back, and it's what you said. She also said the bottom one is for when the car is being towed, though why you'd alarm a towed car I can imagine.