Mk5 Boot Lock not Working

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by scos, Jan 7, 2013.

1. scos Forum Member

Hi all,

Mk5 2005 2.0 FSI - I'm getting the following messages on the dash during start up:-

"Rear left reverse light defective"
    "Rear right fog light defective"

In addition, the real problem that's bothering me is that the boot lock is not operating at all, thus I'm having to open it using the manual catch from the inside - bit of a pain!

I had a similar problem 2 years ago (see thread http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?225523-Mk5-Boot-Lock-amp-Wiper-Issue&highlight=mk5+boot+lock) and that turned out to be broken wires in the loom as it passes through the join to the tailgate. So naturally I looked at that again and the wires looked pretty ropey so I rewired the whole lot (13 wires!) but still the problem persists.

I'm gonna guess from the advice given last time I posted that the best thing to do is try a replacement lock initially? I have the spare from last time (as I never managed to sell it;)), only short term issue is that the spline bit for the bolts got snapped trying to undo something on my father-in-law's V64M!! [:x]

I wasn't able to record any voltages across any of the pins on the connector to the lock (4 pins) which seems odd - although I do have a very standard/cheap multimeter and from what Crispy8V said this isn't much use.

Any other suggestions of checks that could be made if swapping the boot lock doesn't fix it?

Many thanks as always.

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

Blimey theres a name from the past.

Can't be of much help to you with the modern motor, I'm afraid. Can your meter pick up voltages on the circuits that are working - e.g. the rear lights? I suppose that any signals to the rear lock might be very short in duration - guessing it moves on electromagnets?

3. scos Forum Member

Tell me about it - when did these things get so complicated....give me a mk2 back any day! That's the reason I'm not on here much any more, last mk2 was about 7 years ago, had 2 kids since then and a really bad crash in a Cupra....so decided on something more sensible - hence the mk5 (non-GTI!).

I haven't tried any of the other voltages but the rear lights seem to work okay. I'm just waiting to get a replacement spline bit so I can try swapping the latch for my spare, will keep you posted....

Nice to be back by the way :thumbup:

4. Mike_H Forum Addict

Are you still in Maidenhead (if I'm remembering the right person)? I probably have the right spline bit. PM me if you want directions to the barn/workshop. If you've already got one on order, then no worries.

5. scos Forum Member

Hi - yes still in Maidenhead. Actually that might be great - I have spent all week looking for a new M8 spline bit and nowhere seems to have one!

I'll have another look today but if no luck then I will definitely PM you - thanks :thumbup:

6. scos Forum Member

Right, I've tried the spare boot lock but still no joy. Anyone got a wiring diagram for this section of the electrics? Or any other simple tests that I can so help diagnose the problem? One thing I'm thinking now is maybe to test continuity from the connections at the lock back to the joins that I repaired - not straightforward as I'm colour-blind:o

7. Mike_H Forum Addict

Glad you found the part. Might be worth dropping Rubjonny a PM to see if he's got a wiring diagram for something this new.

8. Mike_H Forum Addict

9. scos Forum Member

Managed to download it - superb, thanks again. I'm away for a couple of days but will have a look at this when I get back and see if I can work out what the problem could be. Damn annoying now there's snow as the rear wiper and heater are not working either....!

10. Mike_H Forum Addict

Thank Rubjonny - they're his downloads [:D]

11. scos Forum Member

Okay...an update, just in case anyone's interested....
    So I continuity tested every single of the 13 wires from the loom by the body to the connection points in the tailgate and no problems. Then when I was putting the trim panel back on inside the pillar I noticed that two of the connectors were unplugged! der....what a nob! So now when I start up all the error messages are gone but the boot lock still doesn't work. So now I'm wondering the solenoid is nackered as I tested it with a battery pack and couldn't get it to operate (tried all possible connection options on the 4 pins). The weird thing is I have a spare boot lock and that doesn't work either..... So I could buy another one bu then I might end up with 3 that all work....! Next plan is to test for voltages at the connector to the lock - but I might need another pair of hands for this...or maybe tape the microswitch together to simulate the release being pushed. Will update you again soon.... thanks to those who've helped so far.

12. scos Forum Member

Mk5 Boot Lock not Working - SOLVED

Finally...I have fixed this and the boot lock is working!!!

The short version of the story is.... Basically the connector to the lock mechanism was not contacting on at least one of the pins.

The slightly longer version is.... I removed the entire loom and checked every single connection - discovered all had continuity back to the start of the loom. I also tested the lock itself, stripped it right down and put 12V across the motor, again all working fine. I only managed ti diagnose the problem when I jumped the connection from the connector to a spare lock using manual wires and found it worked!

Moral of the story.... I think that mucking about with the connector so much must've slightly damaged the pins - be careful with the connectors! ;)

Thanks to all and hope this helps someone, sometime.....maybe!